View Single Post
Old 02-23-2012, 06:33 PM
BANNED

Lil Giants has disabled reputation
Default Re: Hauling Dirt out of my basement (present day)

I found time this morning to try to solder it again after a thorough cleaning, sanding, ether cleaning, I tried everybody's tricks except the brake cleaner & special flux.. I ended with the same results again with both the torch & the soldering iron.. mind blowing!

I gobbed quite a bit on with the iron, sanded it down to make it look not quite as ugly.. if it blows out again on me, then I'll just take it to the local machinist in town here and get a proper lesson. That guy can weld anything; I've learned stick hard surfacing, mig, silver solder from him in the past.

My biggest problem I think is that I don't weld often enough, so I never develop the skill well enough to retain the knowledge to do it correctly.

I'm thinking that there has to be something else going here... maybe the original weld is not solder.. I don't know!

I'll install it tonite, work the snott out of it & see how long it lasts!

Thank you HMD, much appreciated! There has been alot misinformation floating around about me & my hobby the last couple weeks... I wish it would end, I'm tired of it! It's been taking up too much of my personal time. Somebody else deserves to be in the spotlight now, there are many others who build far more detailed models than I & they should be recognized too for their efforts & contributions to this fine hobby we all enjoy & work at together.

Joe