View Single Post
Old 04-12-2012, 05:38 AM

Roadmasters is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Fiberglassing a Dumas Chris Craft boat?

i dont see how that would work either... unless the hull is built and fiberglassed and then the mahogony finish on the outside is a veneer. But it seems like a better idea (if its assempled the way im thinking) just to build the hull coat it in a cheaper resin and smooth it out (you can use cabosil mixed into the resin and it makes a pretty good filler. Its abit tougher than bondo to sand.) then laminate the veneer to the hull with a nicer resin that dries crystal clear. Im pretty sure you can get the resin to come out to a pretty good shine. This would also save abit of weight because you dont have all that matt, giving u slightly faster, longer runtimes. If you were really concerned about hitting something or the bottom being weak you could always use some woven roven which i believe is included in the kit since the bottom is being painted so you dont need the same finish as the top with the veneer. This would also keep alittle more weight lower in the boat, giving a lower cg. But if you keep the weight as light as possible in the construction of the hull you have the option to use more ballast in the hull to get the proper ride.

Next East Coast Minitruckers Meet:

Arioch