Thread: RC Benchy
View Single Post
Old 04-05-2022, 03:06 PM
Green Horn

ddmckee54 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: RC Benchy

Frizzen:

I haven't tried floating this thing yet, there's still a couple of major holes below the waterline. Benchy's still missing his prop shaft/bearings, and rudder tube. I think it's going to take a fair amount of ballast to get this thing down to an appropriate waterline.

Benchy looks pretty massive, but between the rub rails and the deck the hull thickness is only about 0.6-0.8mm thick. It's a total of 2 perimeter walls thick. The rest of the hull is probably 1.0-1.2mm thick, it's a total of 6 perimeter walls thick. The thinnest part of the hull is on the keel in the bow section. There the shape of the interior and the exterior of the hull required infill, so the hull wall at that point is only 3 perimeter walls thick. Overall, the hull walls are probably more than 95% solid.

If the waterline is where I think it is, the barely visible horizontal line in the picture, I'll have about 1" of freeboard between the waterline and the scuppers. There's a lip about 1/4" high around the access hatch in the deck.

There's a pond in the city park behind my house, probably used to be a mill-pond, that's where I sail my other tugboat. I'm a fair-weather sailor so I'm not worried about waves swamping the boat. Besides, the pond's only a couple of feet deep - DAMHIK.

Don