View Single Post
Old 09-18-2014, 09:39 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Cooper is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Great Dane excavating co.

4-6$ would be a lot easier!! I still like trying to make stuff too .

I did a quick test on two springs I made, one heat treated and one not. I just used mapp gas to heat, rather quick to glow. I don't know what the exact target temp or what temp I got to but for what I'm doing its fine with me.

Clamped both springs and applied pressure at eye to flat.

And the return rate. Must have tempered some. Definitely a lot more spring. The treated one will vibrate three times longer than non. So I'm on the right track.

And another project I've been thinking a lot about lately. Very few multi stage hydraulic cylinders out there. And ones that are available are very expensive. So,,, one I don't know what I'm getting into and that's why they are so pricey. 2, too much work and don't scale very well. 3, I'm just too green and ignorant to know any better. . 4, all of the above!! I'm going with # 4 and going to bite off more than I can chew. But I like the challenge. (At least that what I'm saying now.

Have some brass to experiment on. Stainless would be my choice but hard for me to work with.