View Single Post
Old 05-28-2018, 07:45 PM
Green Horn

Zabco is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 3D Printing Test

Quote:
Originally Posted by frizzen View Post
If you do another round of testing, how about some strange mixing B with D and E.

Make piece with I-beam type opening but thicker walls, print at 100 infill, wider aluminum insert with radiused corners (1/8" min), print second flat plate that lays over i-bead side of first, and solvent weld the printed parts together.

--

That's a killer test! Thank you for planning, setting up, carrying that out, and documenting! Wow.
Thanks Frizzen. I'm not going to be doing any more testing for awhile, too many other irons in the fire. As I said above, if I do another trailer it will be a combination of I-beam with 100% infill. I haven't designed it but imagine it would take about 40 hours to print. I ran my original design through my slicer program CURA and it said that at 100% it would take over 53 hours to print! Why I went with 20%. Based on the testing though I am pretty convinced that, without increasing the overall size to the point that it looks silly, it simply won't be possible to create a printed lowboy that will handle 100+ pound loads. If that kind of load handling is wanted the only thing would be to make a skeleton frame of metal, which could be rather crude, and then print a 'skin' of whatever shape desired to provide the finished appearance. This would apply to the rear end section of the trailer also.