View Single Post
Old 01-02-2011, 10:50 AM
Green Horn

Heavy Metal is on a distinguished road
Default Taking Inventory

I'm resuming a project I put on hold 2 1/2 years ago. At the time I had accumulated most of the major components for the build. I'll start a build thread once I have a frame and four wheels. Wasn't sure where to put this post - I've had a post moved once already!

Here's what I am aspiring to build...a 1:14 scale JD 710J hoe loader:

The 1:12 Ertl in the pics below is not the project...that was just a means to experiment and learn how to assemble a working miniature hydraulic system. It has seen about 20 hours of run time over the last couple years with no maintenance required. The clippard cylinders haven't leaked a drop and everything runs perfect when I dust it off and fire it up. Here's a link to a quick test run back in May 2008.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZ4FLg9d6R4

Here is the Ertl test rig and everything I had stored in a bin in the garage. Leimbach hydraulic pump and spool valve with assorted fittings, Clippard cylinders, hose, fittings and clevis attachments, a 5-ch radio and reciever from an E-Flite helicopter and a pair of motors from Anaheim Automation. Also still have my notes, calculations and field measurements as well as the scale drawings I did to see if the pump and spool would fit. Sadly I cannot locate the files of the photos I took when I did the field measurements...might have to find a 710 and do another field trip.

Big ticket components I still need are:
8-ch radio and receiver
Leimbach 6 and 6 channel splitter
ESC
Wheels and tires
Everything else will be fabricated or take offs.

Even though I have all these parts already I feel like I'm stuck until I settle on the axle, wheels and tires. I'd like to hear some opinions on this and the motors but will start a different thread for those questions so they are aptly titled.

Joe