View Single Post
Old 09-28-2019, 12:23 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

frizzen is on a distinguished road
Default Re: VW Type 2 Split-window Double cab

Get low.

Cruising after work one day.

I took this truck to a meet, and seriously my departure angle sucks! I need rear lift.

At this meet several people who saw me playing with the suspension mentioned (with some disappointment) that i "should have made the lowrider hop."
Yes it's possible, it would take a different game plan and a Motor and Esc instead of a Servo.

First off VWs go bagged, everything else can get either bagged or juiced. I don't make the rules.

If i were doing a car as a hydraulic Hopper, i'd be setting it up like some of Jevries ''way of the knot'' type of model cars.*
He's an old school badass i've been following since back when the 'Mad Modeler forum' was around.
http://www.jevries.com
https://www.layitlow.com/threads/jevries-builds.143702/
Somewhere there *might* be others who pimp harder, but he is absolutely the best documented at pimping.

Suspension travel is because the axle is mounted semi freely in a channel or something that gravity can pull back 'Low', maybe light spring if really needed. String pulls straight down on suspension for 'High', pulleys / eyelets / bushings to redirect line back to motor. String wraps around lift motor armature or geared shaft near it, and wads string up on it. Motor pulls string down fast, so car comes up fast. Balance car right and you can lift the rear and make it hop big, like sitting bumper.

I'd probably run seperate servos Right and Left rear with Front as hopper described above. With a rear weight bias, that should at least give front, back, gas hop, possibly side/side. If there's room, a speaker setup to annoy everyone with my music. I might even want to try to stuff some short firm springs under it, so the body wants to do the 'horribly bouncy while driving on smooth road' thing. (An actual use for a tamiya truck shaker motor?)

Maybe if i find something used and *REALLY* cheap along the lines of these:
early 2000s Radioshack lowriders, like 58, 64, 67 Impala, 69 El Camino
Newbright SnoopDeville, 74 caddy coupe deville
Newbright Jessie james 54 Chevy car
possibly some other kind of Truck, like the wpl pickup if it were bought as a donor and i just had the body sitting around

Last edited by frizzen; 11-12-2019 at 04:13 AM.