View Single Post
Old 11-12-2019, 01:07 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

frizzen is on a distinguished road
Default Re: VW Type 2 Split-window Double cab

I know ya don't care, but i'm going to keep posting. I don't take hints!

I did some math and my tamiya wheels at 1.650" (42mm) hubcaps are scale 23" rims. I got more than "dubs" (20" wheels) on my V-dub.

I think i've got my rear suspension travel figured out. With my front end full up, I get the rear touching hitch on ground, then up to 0.550" (14mm) below hitch.

Here are the extremes

I found an empty area in the lower leading edge of the transaxle that i could mount a transverse rod. Figured out the wheelbase and drilled the chassis so the rod became a hinge pin.
Then cut out the structure below the transaxle, shaved the trans, i resculpted some gaps i'd made (using some epoxy putty.)
I took some brass square stock to make a frame around the new chassis cutout, the brass then ties into the trailer hitch and its drawbar plate, and the frame is glued to chassis. None of that actually robs me of any ground clearance from stock.

After i pick up another metal gear servo and make mounts, it'll be hitting Front and Back. It's not ever going to be full-motion, and not gangster enough to ever hit a standing 3. It's not about that life.