View Single Post
Old 11-24-2015, 08:40 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Cooper is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Great Dane excavating co.

Ok so after doing the math, ( redneck math-spend a week making parts, assemble to find out it needs changed) I realize the tolerances are just too close to do exactly what I wanted to with having two gear head motors in axle. They are a bit long but that wasn't the big thing for me.

This is how much room will be between wheel hub and axle. It is enough but if some debris gets in there it would jam and be a major effort in removing. Thought about seal but then the bearing would be better. But that is a specific thin section bearing and $100-200 bucks. Just not happening unless it was the perfect piece. But then the issue of weight being placed completely on outside rim where drive axle bolts to wheel hub. Another issue with this plan.

This is what the components would assemble. Not showing the two piece rims that bolt to the dyed wheel hub and I had a thin walled tube to go over motor and reinforcing motor gearbox to axle. I'm pointing at load area. And all that bolted at outside wheel hub.

But only time lossed and the square section (the part that took the most set up and machining time!! Lol!! So maybe some others might get some inspiration from this failed attempt!! But the back up parts were purchased before these were!! Lol, I guess I kind of knew this might not work out