View Single Post
Old 10-07-2014, 07:36 PM
Green Horn

ricm is on a distinguished road
Default Re: SS-tronix Wireless Light and Legs

I agree with all the above. If you add up the component costs then the system price is decent value if you also consider the R&D which must have gone into it to make it commercially viable.

USD getting stronger against GBP at the moment so if you are in USA then price is effectively falling right now....

If you have a spare channel on the Rx in the prime mover, you can plug this into the transmitter board in the truck which will then transmit the signal to the trailer. The receiver board in the trailer then has the capacity to drive a single RC channel. This channel can be used EITHER for the support legs with the add-on controller (to remove the bulky Tamiya set up as indicated by Animal), OR to drive an extra function on the trailer such as a speed controller or servo. You can't have both....for this reason I stayed with the Tamiya system for the legs so I could save the channel for extra features on the trailer eg. tipper trailer screw drive or coupler for my B-Double road train.

The circuit boards in both the truck and trailer have spare connections for extra lights. This is a good feature so you can switch extra running/ side lights without putting the MFU at risk

Another advantage of this system is that it only works when there is 'line of sight' for the infra-red signal from truck to trailer, so once you uncouple the truck then the trailer system stops working. Other systems using WiFi or radio signals mean that the trailer features keep working (turn lamps, brakes lamps, etc) when the trailer is disconnected, which looks really odd if you are driving the truck around separately in some other place!

A few things to note:
1) you need to have the MFU installed in the truck to use this system - it uses the MFU output as the input into the transmitter board to drive the I/R signals for the trailer lights. I don't think it is compatible with other (eg. Servonaut) lighting systems, but SS-Tronix will be able to confirm this.

2) the circuit board in the trailer needs its own power supply, anything from 6 - 12V works as the board has its own voltage regulator, so you'll need to work out what battery format you want to use and where/ how to mount it. I use a low capacity Tamiya pack (1800mAh) which fits neatly between the trailer chassis rails.

Last edited by ricm; 10-07-2014 at 07:50 PM.