View Single Post
Old 02-06-2022, 05:05 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

frizzen is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Rectangular headlight and tail light lenses

What style of lights are you trying to make? I'm guessing 'halogen sealed beams' for front, but what style tail lights?

One downside with using clear resin is that All of them will eventually turn yellow. May or may not be an issue depending on what look you're after.

To remove bubbles you'll want to pour a really thin dribble from high up, or once poured lightly brush across the surface a few times with a torch flame. If you're really hardcore you can set up a pressure pot or vaccum chamber.

I know you can order stuff made in clear filliment from Shapeways. But not cheap.

Maybe see if any of the rc scale rock crawler premade lights might work? Plenty of 1/10 and 1/24 rigs need more aftermarket lights. Get enough to make a big mold, casting resin, go into production

If you can live without lens detail, you could get clear or red plastic sheets or called ''gel'' if it's a place that sells it for lighting. Then glue onto whichever way you liked to make or cast the light housings.

Also filling the housing with clear Hotglue can diffuse your light from looking like 'LED in a bucket' to 'Mostly even glowing lens'