Thread: My "office"
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2010, 12:48 AM
Green Horn

Rogue is on a distinguished road
Default Re: My "office"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Giants View Post
Was there any classroom time before stepping into the haul trk?

How's it your fault if you're overloaded and how do you rectify the problem?

What's a 'lost time accident'? Truck crashes into another piece or roll over?

Have you had a wet load yet and pulled a wheelie to jerk the load off?
...that just sounds like really filthy talk, eh? butcha know what I mean?

All great stuff to read about, thanx for sharing Rick and Daniel, keep the chatter going... someday I'll make it up to Fort McMurray, Alberta to check out the BIG TOYS in the Tar Sands ...maybe even work there someday too.
Joe,

10-4 on the classroom time. 48 hrs of it !! After signing enough forms and paperwork to make you feel like you just bought a new house, the last four hours are spent ina simulator. And this thing is incredible. It's trailer mounted, and has replaceable cab modules for not only the haul trucks, but blades (graders), dozers, excavators, and letournea loaders. The only one i've been in so far is the haul truck, but it is a actual Komatsu cab that is controlled by a computer program, and scored accordingly. Looking forward from the seat, you see a wrap-around movie screen that replicates your actual field of vision that you would see in a real truck. Even cooler is that the computer generated screen that you watch is a accurate replication of our mine site. Roads, ramps, shovel and hopper locations are all exactly as they are in the mine.When you go through your start-up, the seat vibrates, you have direct steering wheel feedback, everything you would hear and feel as if you were in the real truck. The "Mock" dispatch sends you to different areas to load under different shovels, and in all situations. Along the way, the computer will trick you up by recreating a engine fire, tire blow-outs, oncoming traffic, animals crossing in front of you. Anything and everything that could happen when you're out working. It's the ultimate virtual reality game. I have heard rumors that the simulator cost $3 million, and I have no reason to doubt it.

That's just the first week. 2nd week you ride/drive with a different driver each day, and they report back to the trainer of your progress. Most NOOBs get signed off within that 2nd week, and are turned loose in a truck. Some need a little more help and time. Then when you begin your first night shift, you drive under supervision of a trainer for a couple hours to make sure your equally competent driving in the dark.

About overloads, it's not the drivers fault obviously if it happens. It IS however if you take one more than a certain distance. If one happens, they want it dumped right back in the dig face, which pi$$es off the shovel operator, as you're messing with cycle times and load counts. These trucks go into "Limp Mode" when overloaded,and it limits top speed to 10mph. It's a fail safe to protect the trucks electronics. We recently re-calibrated our trucks , and raised the GVW so overloads don't happen near as often now.

A Lost Time is exactly that. Any incident that keeps you from reporting to work the following day/days. It could be an equipment accident, or something as simple as getting dust in your eyes. Sure we have our share of Boo-boos, both equipment, and personal, but nothing serious enough that we don't show up everyday.

Wet loads !!. Yes, but even worse is a cold load. And they SUCK !!. When it's -22* outside, it's nothing to have up to 35 ton froze in the bottom of the box. Sometimes you can shake them loose, other times not, and the beds need cleaned out.

My other truck is a Komatsu
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.