View Single Post
Old 10-01-2021, 10:12 PM

dremu is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Tires for conversions

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry56 View Post
Keep them coming ....
That M-35 wheel is one of the best I've seen...nice work...
I'm not versed in OpenSCAD but I like the idea of a generic wheel that you can put different centers in. That's how us laymen do it... well me anyway... I take a wheel and resize it then "core" out the center, change what I want then put the center back in. This way I can change backspacing, create duals, etc....
As for the Lego's that's why I like them they are more of a street looking tread, you don't always want an off road tread.. at least I don't...
I hear you on the street tread. I had a devil of a time finding one for my Fierito, which, err, I don't have a thread for here. Ended up using a Tamiya tire from their robot/education line, which is entirely separate from their RC stuff. (IIRC it's #70111, comes with weird wheels, though there's also #69916, same rubber, clear wheel instead of white.)

Started out as one of those horrible 80's corded remotes:

new wheels and tires vs old

Body modified to match the one in the garage

The two together

Blame/credit Frizzen for this, as he did exactly the same thing, 'swhere I got the idea.

And yeah, for some of those wheels I had to do exactly that, bore out the center and redraw. Parametric backspacing and the dual are actually pretty straight forward, got them in the code already, but for anything more than that basic ones in the top two pix, you gotta hand code the design.

Hmm, maybe do one code chunk for the wheel outer ("barrel"? what's its proper name?) and one for the center... gotta put on my thinking toque.

-- A

Last edited by dremu; 10-01-2021 at 10:23 PM.