View Single Post
Old 05-29-2021, 08:55 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

frizzen is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Toyota mini-truckin - WPL

Low trucks can't go around dragging really important parts on the ground. You gotta save the pavement dragging for all that unimportant stuff like frames, rockers, exhaust, body panels, oil pans...

Today we're just talking about mods that happened on Red to get a "box stock WPL crawler" down to around "stock or slightly lowered toyota" height.

Narrow the **** out of axles, radius some off the steering knuckles
Narrow a fair amount off a full set of D-12 wheel hexes.
Knock the inner sidewall off the front set of d-12 wheels.
Shock bodies get shortened below the mount screw, bottom is plated & drilled, then a few turns of spring put in and top snapped back on.
Thats enough to JUST get your tires pulled inside the fender and able to steer.

Stock trans went away. It's now got a dual gearmotor setup that tucks to less than 1/4" below frame rails.
The stock 4-link axle truss is mounted upside-down, below the axle. Kit 4link bars.
The chassis side of the 4-link bars go to the same hole in the frame above where the factory thought the lowers should go. I shaved the hanging ears off frame.
My pinion angles are bad, but i don't care enough yet to put adjustable 4-link bars on it. Maybe when i trim driveshafts

Bottom of chassis

Not tall, could run & drive like a normal truck.

For the weird gimmicky things that make me interested in doing mini truck things:

Some 0.6mm ID / 1mm OD teflon tube arrived, which seems to work pretty well with some 50lb Spiderwire stealth-braid fishing line.

I've also got some other options on the way for doing low torque Bowden Cables that can kinda look and act like hydro lines.