View Single Post
Old 05-30-2021, 10:15 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

frizzen is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Toyota mini-truckin - WPL

The front axle is all in the knuckles. The outer face of knuckles were flattened. The flats of hexes were extended all the way in, and the screw hole deepened. I'd like to say all of that was done before the hex was cut way down. Everything inside of the knuckle pivot was left alone. The knuckle arm for drag link was cut away for tire clearance

The rear axle case got shortened to the outboard bearing seats. (Be smarter than i was, take the axle apart before doing that, as now one of the bearing seats isn't.) The metal shaft got both knurled ends cut off and regrooved. The plastic hex that holds wheel to axle got cut down from both ends.

This set was modified with: a Flex-shaft with a cutoff wheel, a Dremel in their drillpress attachment as a wimpy manual mill to deck the wheels, Files, Vicegrips. Lots of test fitting and getting mad it's still too wide.

These are NOT big torque axles. The hex to wheel surface are is now very wimpy. I also wouldn't trust the reduced rear hex to axle shaft connection. Do NOT do this type of mod if you want to crawl, or do high speeds, or abuse them. Cruisers only.

Metal axles could give better results, but will need better tooling than i have access to.