View Single Post
Old 06-28-2021, 09:35 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

frizzen is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Toyota mini-truckin - WPL

Where's the love? Back to some work on the Blue truck. Gotta cruise before we get radical.

So here's that ''Servo gimbal glued to a chassis crossmember" first stage dump thing from earlier, with the mark1 version of a second stage. Clearly this thing has the side pivot in too close to center line, gives more of a Rotate action than the Unstacking action we're looking for on the second stage. It puts a fender into frame way too early. I'd have to limit the throw to something wimpy like 30 degrees.

Truck bed tonnau cover mounts on grey bar. Servo mounted on chassis lifts black part with white glued on. The next servo would pull a bowden cable, to pull short side of grey bar down. Bed tips aft and left.

Even at the time, i knew i actually wanted to have the side pivot stuck out over a frame rail, but kinda wanted to see if it might work "well enough" without making some cantilever structure to get the hinge way out there, strong enough, and square. (No, stop being lazy.)

We're going with a custom 'dual n20 gearmotors in C-channel' axle because i've seen it used on german builds for a while and it looked interesting. Plus it's LOW clearance. Some brass tube and solder adapts rear wheels to the D-shaft motors. Front axle isn't too spectacular either, it's just a styrene stack that holds the knuckles on my 5-stars.

Last edited by frizzen; 06-28-2021 at 09:45 PM.