View Single Post
Old 08-14-2013, 10:21 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Supermario is on a distinguished road
Default Re: S&M Trucking open for bizz nizz !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlebug View Post
Hey Mario, slag like's water when compacted, water causes chemical bonding.
Plate compactor's are just the ticket.
I've hauled a lot, and graded with it, when Geneva Steel was still around, Supply is dwindling here now. No, the slag won't kill weed's! Lime Stone fine's are great too.
Go for at least 2'' thick. 3/8'' minus will compact better than the 3/4'' road base.
Cheer's, Neil.
Thanks for the heads up Neil. I wasn't getting the compaction and realized I didn't have enough thickness and too much road base so I screened down a few buckets worth to 3/8 minus and now have close to 2" thick. Trucks run fine on it and I hope it gets firm enough that the loader wont dig into it and just grab whatever material I use in the pit.
It's nice to suddenly discover a benefit to living in a steel town!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oztruck View Post
That stuff sounds good. I have found that you need something that is low maintenance, weed resistant and that doesn't get in the way when cutting the grass.
Load the tipper at the stock pile with your loader/crawler crane, spread the stuff 1/2" thick using tipper. now get a grader, compactor, and water truck and start working in the garden with your wife.

Cheers Chris
I love the sounds of that list of equipment Chris and nice use of the gardening option

Yes, low maintenance and easy to cut the grass. I'd love to put up road signs and even powerlines along the road but the way it is right now, when its time to cut the grass....I just cut the grass! no fuss, no muss. Mower runs over the shingles, nothing has to be moved or covered.
Perhaps if I host a local RC event I can add signage but for now we are liking what we got

thanks guys.
Mario