View Single Post
Old 04-19-2021, 02:13 PM

sassgrunt is on a distinguished road
Default USAF Peterbilt Minuteman TEL

During the Minuteman missile program, the Air Force had two types of Transporter Erector Launchers, (both were called TEL, but they were only used to transport and emplace the missile in the silo; not ever to launch it). There was an underslung type of tractor used in the 1960s, which was replaced in the late 1980s by the 10x6 type that I would like to build. A search of "Minuteman TEL" will show both types.
I have a man on eBay who is willing to print a cab for me, but he's asking exactly what type of Peterbilt it is, and I just don't know. It is a short cab that looks like a 352, with two rear windows on a sloping rear wall, and but it's odd in that it sits well forward of the wheels, so there is no wheel arch at the bottom. It also appears to look longer on the left side of the cab than the right, and this is because the right side "cuts in" to a semicircular recess right behind the door so that the single exhaust stack doesn't stick out past the rear wall of the cab.
Does anyone know what this type would have been known as? I have never been able to find any specifics on it. Thank you in advance! -Mike