View Single Post
Old 04-20-2021, 03:30 PM

sassgrunt is on a distinguished road
Default Re: USAF Peterbilt Minuteman TEL

Thank you both for your replies. Yes, I am trying to build the later type that was built (according to the few license plates I have found in photos of it) in 1988 and 1990. The GMC V12 engine article is interesting; but that powered the earlier "aircraft tractor" type. And, the last type of truck shown is for all the ancillary equipment that was required to lower the missile into the silo, (you often see it alongside the TEL when at the silo).

I did look up the Peterbilt 320 reference, but the details are pretty far off, so I don't think it's based on that. I don't know the obvious visual differences between a 352 and a 362, other than the round vs square headlights, and was guessing that was a day cab version of one of those.

I have a retired Air Force friend who worked in the motor pool, and I asked him if there was an official color for the dark blue that they painted the vehicles. He told me it was known as "Strata Blue" (which makes it sound more Air Force than Navy Blue, I guess).

I also wrote Tim's Trucks, and am waiting to see what he thinks about it. Thank you for that link.

Last edited by sassgrunt; 04-20-2021 at 04:11 PM.