View Single Post
Old 01-30-2019, 04:50 PM
Green Horn

Wombii is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Scania airport fire truck

Quote:
Could the pitch servo be trimmed a little and fit up in the rounded side with a fwd/aft pushrod instead?
I was hoping to be able to do that. Part of the problem is my lack of experience and the order of operations. 3D printing could probably solve the issue, but I'm building the shroud by first making a support structure and then adding thin strips to shape the 3 dimensional curve. I don't know how much of the support structure I can remove without weakening the shell too much. I also need that support structure to build the bottom third with another inward angled curve. After building that part I no longer have access to cleanly remove the support structure.
Another part is not having enough room in there. I want the shroud as close to scale accurate as possible. I also don't want the servo poking out through the side of it. The bottom third is angled inwards and the top curves. That means the servo has to be moved close enough to the center that it the hose starts to give me trouble. The 3.7g servo is already as compact as it can get, and the next size down would probably be the linear servos in ultra micro airplanes which I think will be too weak. The hose takes up a lot of room because I can't bend it too sharply to avoid kinks. This doesn't even take into account the need to make a good rotating mount which will take up even more space on the bottom. Now that I have one way that I know works, I'll take another look to see if I can rotate the servo in a weird angle and make it fit back there though. It would make it cleaner and avoid water dripping on the servo. Another solution would be to hide the servos in the cab, but I spent 6 months on that roof, and I don't want to drill holes in it.

Thank you both for the suggestions about tubing. I'll look into them. The fuel tubing I'm using has a pretty thick wall. My initial concern with more flexible tubing is that the line will either kink in the bends or try harder to straighten out when pressurized with water, making it just as stiff. In the small amount of testing I've done the nitro tubing starts fighting pretty hard when I turn on the pump.
The oversized pump has nipples for a very thick 6 (or is it 8?) mm inner diameter tube. I'll be running that from tank to pump and pump to roof. On the roof I'm connecting it to the shorter line of fuel tubing through the monitor. The fuel tubing perfectly fits inside the thicker tubing which make that job easier. This is all a huge experiment though, and I don't know what I'm doing, so I appreciate the suggestions.