View Single Post
Old 04-02-2019, 07:20 PM
Green Horn

Wombii is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Scania airport fire truck

Switched to a thinner tube (2,5mm vs 3,5mm inner diameter, but much thinner walls) and now I'm not that worried about the servos. Did some testing, and the water flow is still acceptable. The nozzle still needs to be smaller than that anyway, to get a suitable throw distance.

I've hidden the connection between the 7mm and 2,5mm tube inside the dummy pipe going to the monitor. The thin tube needs a loose S curve or a loop to not hinder the rotation of the monitor, but I'm not 100% sure this is the best way to do it. The alternative is to let the water tube exit the top of the monitor. The real monitor has a thinner tube there (I believe it's for foam chemicals). That would mean another major change to the monitor though.

I really don’t want to do that change though, because I'm almost happy with the filling and sanding on the back of it.

In other news, I also tested the design for the water level sensor, and It's nowhere near reliable enough. I'm ditching the transistors and went with another arduino. This will also let me send the water level and all the battery + BEC voltage levels as telemetry data through the receiver, or I could display the current gear or other data on the LEDs instead.

https://youtu.be/bfd05Ux-Fx8

My main pump operates one way only, so I'm going to use my backup 12v nitro fuel pump to fill and drain the water tank. By chopping off some bits with a hacksaw I can just about fit it in the space on the left side below the tank compartment, giving me plenty of room for the tank itself.