View Single Post
Old 03-01-2012, 07:50 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

TRUCKMAKER is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Hauling Dirt out of my basement (present day)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Giants View Post
Was that AM780 talk radio? What's the name of the program? I was googling to try to find a podcast of it..

Yeah Kent, that doesn't surprise me that the DJ's were trying to make a comedy special of it... that's what the last two weeks has been like, whether it was talk radio or answering articles for newspapers & online, the general misconception is "man playing with toys in his basement for 15yrs". It was a bizarre story that everyone wanted to report.. rather than it was an unusual new hobby that many others might like to know more about & get involved with.

TOY bulldozers & Toy trucks... "don't you think they are more efficient ways to renovate your basement?", was the most often asked question I got. People who don't have, don't do hobbies don't get it! Simply put. All they see is "toys normally for kids and this adult playing with them".

They're clueless to the complicacy & intricacy involved in the creation of these minature models and fail to realise the sophisicated machinery & highly skilled tradesmen that this hobby demands to not only design a high quality, durable product, but also the high skill of an individual it takes to assemble & fine tune the model to perfect working order... not something the average 10yr old could slap together to take to his backyard sandbox.

I didn't do a very good job of explaining that the last couple weeks.. I'm not a public speaker (verbally) & got caught completely unprepared with the publicity.. about the time I calmed down and overlooked ppl's short jokes towards my hobby & my private life as an individual and focused moreso on explaining what the hobby involved.. too late, the media moved on.

However, I may have a 2nd chance this summer, there's a couple of TV news & documentary programs that have been quite adamant to get me on camera.. I told them I'd talk to them again in July.. I'd think about it awhile. I can show them the numerous parts in a kit, the mechanical, electrical & hydraulic components necessary to build a powerful & functional model.
Yes it was AM780 Talk radio but she didn't catch the name of the program. I agree with "they'll never get it". Heck they'd really lose it if they new how many people on this and some of the other forums from around the world would give our left one thing to come to your basement and "play" with our "toys".

Keep on Diggin'
Kent

Last edited by TRUCKMAKER; 03-01-2012 at 07:52 PM. Reason: spelling