View Single Post
Old 06-07-2020, 01:55 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

frizzen is on a distinguished road
Default Re: VW bay-window transporter

I might have mentioned that i came from Rock Crawlers and thought steering servos should be able to swing the chassis around... Anyway, we're going to bring it down to 'more reasonable' and better match driving around with a CD Drawer motor. It's still enough servo for the 1/16 scale WPL 4x4s playing on rocks and trails, On-road light weight vw that goes pucka-pucka-pucka will be fine.

Let's build up the Camper bus front a bit easier than Mean Green who started the thread. We'll be using a mg90s micro servo

Punch a square hole through the pan so your servo fits, these 90s take a little mount ear filing to slide in between the frames. One mount ear fits on the 'walkthrough' between the seats, make a pad for the onter and bond to frame wall. Top load the servo and screw down.

Then i punched a couple holes through the wheelwell and cabin bulkhead, and routed the lead back through the cabin and under the seat. It's still not sexy, but i did it that way on Green because the lead was short, and for a Camper it works because Galley.

The front seat needs 'very little' trimming of the inboard trailing edge to clear the servo body. I also like to knock off the hook at lower front of seat so i can remove it without splitting the pan. Then i shaved the Tierod, notched the frame where the knuckles would hit, and just made a brass Z-bar to connect servo and tierod.

(Check out Red 2, it's got a better routing method, if you've got the wire length.)

I also figured we should make a trailerhitch drawbar a little better and stronger. 2 screws in shear weren't going anywhere, but it should help by putting a stiffening bend and wrapping the rear step on chassis.

---
Red 2 does the same hole, extra mounting block, top load mounting, and all that. However you can soften the edges it crosses, route wires 'outside' the chassis so it hides between the 'sidewall panel' and 'body skin'. Then punch the servo lead through at the leading edge of the rear seat. The rear seat base even has a recessed area there to hide the wire from view through sliding door.