Thread: Zil 130 Thing
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2021, 05:06 PM
Green Horn

Tommy R is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Zil 130 Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by frizzen View Post
That truck's already looking pretty nicely detailed!
With that condition of hood i'd be about tempted to heatgun straighten and probably dent it up, then that do that battered rusty patina thing...

I know someone had one of those cabs on a truck at a lebanon IN meet a while back, and it didn't really look out of scale with the Tamiyas.

Cool box art. What do you think of the "Highly fine parts" and "Strong driving force"? Does it really "needs to assemble by yourself", or can you have someone watch and help?
Uh oh, I wonder if the King Kong police will be after me for sharing my progress pics?? LOL!

I've considered the patina look, but kinda want to do my rendition of a restoration this time. It'll be old school looking, that's for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry56 View Post
When we had a warped slot car chassis we would drop them in some boiling water for just a few seconds them get them out and put some weight on them to straighten them out.... with the curves in the hood it might be a challenge but just hold it flat until it cools.
I really like the way it's turning out, looks like it has plenty of detail to me...
I'll try it, but as thick as the hood is and with those curves, it'll definitely be a challenge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry56 View Post
Have you seen this guys Zil 130...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mdt0riQQ1Gk
Of course! I considered doing something simliar, but figured this'll be my short wheelbase rig and I'll likely convert it to 4WD. I plan on a Globeliner soon, though, but it'll remain RWD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by egronvold View Post
Cool project!
Thanks!

I started filling the holes in on the back of the cab. Still debating what other body mods I want to do. I've determined this looks pretty close to a 1956 International S-120 so that's what I'm going to pretend it is. I won't do much to the body, but just a thing or two to make it more reminiscent of a corn binder.

A little skim of filler and some more sanding and these holes should be a thing of the past.