Thread: Zil 130 Thing
View Single Post
Old 05-20-2021, 12:33 AM
Green Horn

Tommy R is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Zil 130 Thing

I found a problem with the rear suspension tonight. You see, the primary leaf spring pack is relatively soft, but once the overload springs make contact with the perches on the frame the suspension stiffens to the point where it doesn't feel like it moves at all. And even at ride height the overload spring is just starting to make contact.

After some experimentation, I found out the issue is actually at the rear shackle. As the suspension compresses and the shackle swings rearward, the shackle was making contact with the mount on the chassis. It just so happens to make contact at the same time the overload springs touch their perches. So that was merely coincidental.

It may be tough to tell, but I clearanced the shackle, but in order to remove the interference I had to remove one of the chassis mount's holes. 3 should be fine....I hope! LOL

Now the rear suspension has full movement and it'll compress until the overload springs invert and make contact with the main leaf pack. Another option would've been to move the rear shackle mount rearward a bit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.