View Single Post
Old 06-30-2020, 08:32 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

frizzen is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Barber-Greene Tracked Bucket Elevator - 1946

It won't drive a servo. These are just remotely cycling a Relay from 'Normal Closed' to 'Normal Open' connected to COMmon pin.
Although i guess one of these wired for Momentary operation probably 'could' pull a 5th wheel release, but you'd be looking at a toygrade kind of setup. Where a weak spring holds locked and trailer can still bump in, then a string to motor pulls release open?

I only remembered these circuits existing because Jrdido was wanting to figure out how to remotely switch a traffic Arrow Board. Then remembered i have some 15a ones sitting around from another failed project, suddenly i had a plan for this machine.

Anyway, i started digging through parts on hand that didn't work for the intended model and that gearmotor was the biggest that would fit into the engine shroud with a coupling. I'm not sure yet if i can put the rx in the shroud with only the antenna coming out. That'll probably take some range tests to decide.

I'm thinking i'll make a wooden tool or accessory tray between the engine and lift frame to hide the battery under. Maybe put the rx down low on the other side of engine if it can't be heatshrunk & tucked into the engine shroud?

With as much neat stuff is happening on it, I really wanted to keep the models ''magic'' by not showing any of the power mods. I also do not want to do modification or damage that would keep it from going back to just a fun toy if desired.

I might make some wooden walk-boards that mount along side the tracks so i can have an operator standing on the machine, but without having track drive it's not completely needed.

As far as my entire conversion plan, it's nearly down to take better pics, and some videos. Although i'll probably need some tough-up paint, and repop decals to proudly announce it's a Barber-Greene.

Last edited by frizzen; 07-02-2020 at 08:16 PM.