View Single Post
Old 08-29-2010, 11:53 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Espeefan's slow motion Peterbilt Heavy Hauler build

To continue on.....

Different flavors of tires. Dual driven tires, super singles, and steering.

In going for the heavy hauler look, I wanted a lift axle. Wedico offered one, so I picked it up. Unfortunately, I was a bit let down by it. The travel of the lift axle was horrible, to say the least. There was enough travel to raise the wheels, but the downward travel was very poor. Once lowered, there was no travel left in reserve and the rubber barely met the road. Ultimately, I ditched this set up for something better.

I bought the Peterbilt 359 cab, in it's raw state, as I wanted to do a paint job of my own, rather then be stuck with the single color powder coat. I've seen a lot of the powder coat paint jobs show some pretty serious orange peal too.

At this point, I realized the look of the truck was heading in the right direction, but I wasn't to satisified just yet. I hated the ride height of the truck. Especially that huge gap between the front fender and the tire. Something that all Wedico trucks suffer from, but even more so with the driven steer axle.

I also hated the lift axle being so close to the first tandem drive axle. It just looked cramped. After talking about the problem with a few fellow RC truckers, I decided I would push the rear drive axles back.

It made a huge difference!