View Single Post
Old 10-16-2010, 01:29 PM
Journeyman

steamer will become famous soon enoughsteamer will become famous soon enough
Default Re: "Steamers" Builds and collection

Good Morning. As I said there are not many pictures of my builds, as that never entered my mind to document them. The pictures were mostly of the real engines to give me an idea of the looks and size. Most of the time, I have been lucky to BS my way into the facilities to measure the real engines. Go Transit were very helpful and let me in there enough times to get all the dimensions of the F40 and here's a shot with my five year old.

The next is with two locomotives being built at the same time, F40 and CN 5703 4-6-4 Hudson. You can see that the forty is built from 20 gauge sheet metal and was spot welded with 20 gauge angle in the corners. Most of the detail on the body is evergreen plastic fastened with JB weld.

The steamer ended up like this

The only other shot of the F40 is really not worth posting but it's all I could find. This was taken after I painted it and the paint is the same as on the F40. The company the made the paint donated it after seeing the model.

As far as the detail goes cooling fans were small 12 volt motors, turned alum hubs, slit then at a 45 angle and JB in the blades. Never had a blade come back out. From memory I would say the engine with batteries was about 150 lbs. Hope this helps, but keep asking questions and I'll try to answer .
Rob