View Single Post
Old 11-18-2012, 03:55 PM
Green Horn

Location: Up a hill above the dirty Ohio river on the Indiana side.
rcguyfarms is on a distinguished road
Default garden tractor with loader

I have stepped up to a real type of loader for less or same cost of my rc equipment. I have been searching for 2 years to find a good deal on an older john deere large size garden tractor. I was going to scratch build a loader for it. Well last tuesday my long search was over I found a john deere 400 garden tractor with a loader on it for $3500. The tractors that size go between 2500 to 3000 with just a mower deck around where I live. Even better part was the tractor had a brand new kolher 20 hp motor already in it. Tractor ran fine and u could only run the loader at idle when I got it. The issue was how the pump was mounted and the major oil leak out one of the tilt cylinders. I was able to find a new seal kit and fix the hydro oil leak. I finally got the pump lined up and now it runs at full rpm or I usally run at 2/3 full rpm to save on fuel. I plan to add a 3-point hitch and a couple of implements to aide in dirt and snow work. I have switched to filled bar type tires in the rear and will put on new front tires also.