RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's General Discussion. > General Discussion

General Discussion A place to post off topic discussions.

Old 07-01-2011, 06:19 PM
It's a dry 115 degrees.

SonoranWraith is on a distinguished road
Default RC4WD new trailer

Anyone seen this yet:

http://store.rc4wd.com/114-Scale-Hea...er_p_1571.html

Not enough pics of design. Are they getting serious about 1/14 now after all the years of talking about it? They seem to trickle the stuff out.
Old 07-01-2011, 06:32 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Tamiya Cowboy has a spectacular aura aboutTamiya Cowboy has a spectacular aura aboutTamiya Cowboy has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: RC4WD new trailer

Yeah well it is sort of ahhh? Well it needs to go back to the drawing board with it. I am happy they are getting after it but it is not any better than the other lowboy that was put out that was not worth it but the effort is great to see and I am sure they will just keep getting better with each new thing like everything they do.

HI.. My name is Paul.. And.. I.. Have a Cabover Addiction.

RIP FreddyGearDrive 2-12-59/12-19-11 "LET IT EAT"
Like Us on Facebook "Corn Field Mafia"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-01-2011, 08:07 PM

cbazq271 is on a distinguished road

its great that a nice scale company is starting to make semi truck stuff. Look at the other items rc4wd sells, they are perfectly to scale. We need to remember this is the first 1/14 trailer they have sold. I agree it is far from the quality of the other scale stuff they sell but if you give them positive suggestions and some time to hone there semi truck skills, I will bet they put out some of the best scale stuff made.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:10 PM
Green Horn

Car5858 will become famous soon enoughCar5858 will become famous soon enough

I have to agree
Old 07-02-2011, 02:12 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

I like RC4WD's products. I really think it is great that they are making efforts to bring out scale semi truck models and products, but it's kind of disappointing at the same time to see them turn out something like this trailer. It's not bad, but it's not great. We tend to want the most accurate models we can get. That's what this hobby is about. I hate to see RC4WD try to offer products that may not sell well because they aren't much to look at, and then think that there is no market for this stuff. There is a growing market, but it takes the right kind models to sell. They need a RC semi truck guy to consult with before they settle on a design.
Old 07-02-2011, 02:14 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Claus is on a distinguished road

When is somebody goes to sell dropdeck trailers like Espeefan's signature?
Old 07-02-2011, 08:42 AM
Fabrication and design , super moderator

ihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the rough

Eh , what ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claus View Post
When is somebody goes to sell dropdeck trailers like Espeefan's signature?
I'm in the process but as a custom make to scale of a real 1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-02-2011, 09:20 AM
Out of control

fhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud of

We have guys who haul in and out of work with real trailers similar to these. They are not low boys like you guys are thinking of it is a rigid trailer that you load from the rear only. For the 1:1 trailers it is a cheap option for the mid sized and slightly larger equipment and work real well for hauling strait trucks like dump trucks and water trucks. Notice the support legs at the front of the trailer since the neck is rigid you need them to uncouple the trailer from the truck. I believe that they chose this style of trailer for the simplicity of it and keep the cost down, even though this style of trailer is out dated.

I am glad they are trying to make more products and don't want to discourage them from more in the future. Constructive criticism is good and RC4WD would probably listen and make some changes if enough people wanted the same changes and were willing to pay for the extra cost associated with it.

Travis

RIP FreddyGearDrive 2-12-59/12-19-11
Old 07-02-2011, 10:11 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

JAMMER is on a distinguished road

Did we just have a problem with a guy about putting pop rivets in a model and now here comes RC4WD and some say they look good. I guess it's who has the product that makes a difference with the flip-florin. Ed
Old 07-02-2011, 10:42 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

I would like it if RC4WD could post some photos of the parts in their unassembled state. Just curious to see what we are actually talking about here. How many pieces are actually in the makings of the trailer, ect. It looks awfully simple in design. I am sure there is zero suspension on the trailer, if it's designed to haul 200 pounds. I'd rather have a suspension, with less weight capacity. Who needs to haul 200 pounds anyway? Vario has a pretty heavy excavator, true, but anyone who can afford that model is probably not afraid to spend a little more to get a nicer looking trailer.
Old 07-02-2011, 10:46 AM
On Leave

Cossett is a jewel in the roughCossett is a jewel in the roughCossett is a jewel in the roughCossett is a jewel in the rough

Well said Nathan

Cheers Tracy

Old 07-02-2011, 02:17 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

BRICKNICK is on a distinguished road

Well its a start, it opens up the market for larger private company to mass produce 1:14 scale trailers for our hobby. Instead of all of us starting with the same lousy tamiya factory trailers that we have to modify to our liking.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:21 PM
Journeyman

pigeonfarmboy is on a distinguished road

I think it looks pretty nice but no way it costs $100 to ship it within the US!!!!!

Do we know for sure it is pop-rivets? Looks like it could be button head screws to me.
Old 07-02-2011, 09:16 PM
Out of control

fhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud of

I agree with pigeonfarmboy they look like button head screws to me as well. I think the trailer is fine for most but if you can afford a vario excavator then you can afford one of the higher end fully working lowboys that are currently offered which have a lot of detail such as the one PMD offers. I have shipped my trailers and a Carson drop deck I first went to the UPS store and they wanted $150 a piece to ship them so I went back to work and used the boxes and packing that we save and used our UPS account. With out putting the box size on the ticket and just using weight it was about $40 to ship them which is what we did and got by with it just because of how much we ship. We did put in the box size just to see the difference and the price jumped to $75 and that was just shipping. I will bet with their packaging cost and shipping it is close to $85 for them to ship it with no in store handling fee's.

Travis

Old 07-02-2011, 09:32 PM
Journeyman

pigeonfarmboy is on a distinguished road

Good to know. I suppose I was leaving out the all-important packing materials and size. I've been an RC4wd customer for a very long time now and I can say their stuff is always packed very well. I do agree there's nicer stuff out there. Looks as if they just missed a more budget price point with this guy.
Old 07-02-2011, 09:56 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

I don't know if the PMD low boys, with the detachable necks are still available or not. I remember they sold for $1200 or somewhere around there. They were entirely machined aluminum trailers, and worth every penny of that price, but now when I look on PMD's website, I only see the simpler tig welded lowboys that have a fixed neck, and sell for $500 or so. Then there is Joe's Truck Stop lowboys. They aren't to bad, till you get to the neck. I think he was selling them for $1K plus. The machined lowboys PMD was selling could also be converted to functional hydraulic necks. I really only know one guy who bought one. He liked it a lot, but said it was so heavy, even empty that it would bottom out the suspension on a stock Tamiya big rig. Calm n Sedated is his screen name. He is a member here, but haven't seen him post to much lately.
Old 07-02-2011, 10:08 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Claus is on a distinguished road

PMD lowboy is still advertised on their site. It is under Tamiya Trailers. Besides the hydraulic neck you can also add a fourth flip axle and outriggers and planking. It is the best looking 1/14 lowboy I have ever seen.

Nathan, doesn't Stepside have one of those as well?
Old 07-02-2011, 10:12 PM
Out of control

PMD still has the nice one. product # 1322T Link to trailer page I know Rod and his dad have one as well and it is a real nice trailer. Rods dad is supposed to send me their neck so I can motorize it and from looking at the neck it wont take much work to do, it is set up real similar to mine.

Travis

Old 07-03-2011, 01:21 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

doodlebug is on a distinguished road

For $150.00, it better be in a plywood crate! just my .000000002. UPS has been hard on alot of order's. Cargo Monkey's?????
Later, Neil#2 aka doodlebug.
Old 07-03-2011, 07:01 AM
CEO of bend over motors."WE DRIVE IT HOME!"

spudd has a spectacular aura aboutspudd has a spectacular aura about

I think the trailer isn't to bad but the shipping is over priced