RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment > Construction Equipment Tech

Construction Equipment Tech Hydraulics, Electronics, General Engineering, ect in constr equip

Old 11-19-2015, 12:33 PM
Journeyman

cosworth34677 is on a distinguished road
Default should or keep it the same?

OK i got the excavator I've been workings on for about 6 mouths, everything works but the it has no power, i refurbed the pump new valve rebuilt the cylinders, and tried about 15 different typed of oils anti freeze bake and power steering fluid. and it moves well not fast but well. i'm about at the point where going to just pack everything up and sell the whole lump. so.......

so should i sell it? keep working with it?
or sell the hydraulic stuff and go screw drive cylinders?
help guys!!! i was also thing of sell the hydraulic system and using the money
to fund a new one but really if i sell the parts that will turn into bill money.
what would you guys do? i'm about over spending money on this thing with no gains!! help!!
Old 11-19-2015, 04:39 PM

dozerbuilder is on a distinguished road
Default Re: should or keep it the same?

I hear your pain cosworth. For what it's worth imho, the appearance of these mini-hydraulic rams is first class looking at them nicely fitted and plumbed to the models and some of the fits here on RCT&C are works of engineering art imho. But operationally they appear one big problem after another. I've agonised over this same decision for 6 months as to going screws jacks or hydraulic and I'm right at that point now for my big dozer build. I'm going with 7 x frigelli screw jacks. Somehow I'm intending to cover the square appearance with some type of tubing to give the tubular appearance of a hydraulic ram. A few wires and an esc are much simpler than hydraulic hoses blowing off and spewing oil everywhere, pressure problems, oils, pumps, valves, power loss, speeds and the like. Hope that helps.
Old 11-19-2015, 05:13 PM

dozerbuilder is on a distinguished road

Another thing I forgot to add cosworth is that I found Firgelli will promptly help out with design questions using their actuators. I emailed Ian Greig at Firgelli (found his details here on RC T&C) with photos and digitally measured loads for the Firgelli actuators I proposed using and asked his opinion. He assessed my project and also put it to his engineering dept and came back with the answers next day. Another reason I'm using screw jacks - Firgelli were happy to offer advice on their products and they are in Canada - easy communication. Hope you get it sorted.
Old 11-19-2015, 08:38 PM
Wannabe

andyathome is on a distinguished road

Its a big call to ditch all work and start again.

I built my rc dozer after a lot of looking here at various builds.
knowing nothing about esc,s and receivers really , spoke to Ian at firgelli via email and was assisted with the right rams for the job.
must be three years and dozer still going strong, but have stripped one screw drive and it was my fault.

once I learnt a little more on how things in the RC world worked I was more confidant playing around with the hydraulic side of things.

The more time you spend thinking about things it becomes clearer what is wrong.

If I was you I would drop the pump speed to almost nothing and work on one set of cylinders at a time, get them working as they should then move to the next, dont try to fix everything at once.

just my thoughts

cheers andy
Old 11-19-2015, 08:50 PM
Wannabe

andyathome is on a distinguished road

thought I might just add this for a giggle

Old 11-20-2015, 02:53 PM
Wannabe

Rimrock is on a distinguished road

Can understand you frustration..As mentioned in other threads, the first series Magom pumps are just of low quality, some work ok for a while, some works 'so-so' even when new..The new small Magom pump with tank is of higher quality..but it cost some bucks to invest in a new pump, and it's not 100% for sure that pump is the/only problem..
Do you got some fellows nearby that can lend you another pump to test in your machine?
Old 11-20-2015, 03:43 PM
Journeyman

cosworth34677 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rimrock View Post
Can understand you frustration..As mentioned in other threads, the first series Magom pumps are just of low quality, some work ok for a while, some works 'so-so' even when new..The new small Magom pump with tank is of higher quality..but it cost some bucks to invest in a new pump, and it's not 100% for sure that pump is the/only problem..
Do you got some fellows nearby that can lend you another pump to test in your machine?
well all my other rc buddy's are car buggy airplane guys, i can try the pump out of my loader but that is working a+ and don't want to f- it up you know.
but my need to bite the bullet and try it out to see if thats the problem. the valve are only about 6 mounths old os i know they are good they where in the loader and worked perfect i'm thinking its more a pump then cyclinder problem in the order