RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Kings of the Road > Highway Trucks and Trailers

Highway Trucks and Trailers On road trucks and trailers single and twin axle trucks.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-14-2011, 12:55 AM
Weaver Of Dreams

Dreamweaver will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Over The Road Hauler "OverHaul"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc_farmer View Post
someone eles did a convert of these before. keep it up.
It's ok Rob you can say my name.

Tyler, not trying to rain on your parade, however I see you made the same mistake I did when I first built my hinge system for my hood...

The problem with the way you built the hinge is that when you install the front bumper the hood will hit and not open unless you have a huge cap between the hood and bumper.

If you look at a 1:1 hood on just about all conventionals you will see that the hinge has a arch to it that allows the hood to go forward when opening.

In this picture if you look close you can see where the bumper and the bumper mount touch. Then look to the left of that and you can see the bottom edge of the hood. Now notice that there is a little over a 1/4" there that is taken up by bumper.

In this picture you can see that in order to make this work I literally had to build it JUST like the 1:1 trucks. I had to have the back of the bumper relieved and then had to bring the pivot point of the hinge out and in side the bumper. This allows for the hood to move far enough forward to clear the bumper but also makes the pivot far enough forward so that the hood sit where it needs to be when closed.

This took a LOT of trial and error. I'm not telling you what or how to do it, but hey if someone else already went through all the BS then why do it your self.

The long and the short of it is this. The hood has to be in front of the bumper when open therefore the gap between the hinge pivot point and the hood has to be greater than the width of the bumper. The only other way to do it is to mount the hinge to the top of the bumper as several people have done. however if you think about it even doing it like that when the hood is open it is still in front of the bumper.

Just thought I'd give ya a heads up

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike "DREAMWEAVER" Johnson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP FreddyGearDrive 2-12-59/12-19-11

Rims and Tanks by ihbuilder / Grill and Visor by Brian in PA / Mirrors, Front and Rear Bumper, Back of Cab Lights, and Steering Arms by tc1cat / Fenders by Stylin n Profilin / Frame Rails by The Late Freddy Gear Drive