RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Kings of the Road > Highway Trucks and Trailers

Highway Trucks and Trailers On road trucks and trailers single and twin axle trucks.

Old 01-08-2012, 09:25 AM
Green Horn

crawler07 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: dodge L 1000

thanks guys, Im super excited to try and build a screwdrive lift for it. I think im going to use an old vise screw I have been saving for just this job. Also plan to hide the screw in a fake piston ram,but havent worked that part out completely??
Old 01-08-2012, 09:39 AM
karak34

Nice ^^
Old 01-09-2012, 12:22 PM
Apprentice

SWAGGER is on a distinguished road

Setting new standards in custom / scratch building. Great brass work!!!
Old 01-10-2012, 09:02 PM
Green Horn

thanks!
Made some progress, Now I have the frame rails pretty much done and starting to think about how to do the x members and the screwdrive. My cousin gave me a cool motor with a gear reduction from an old automatic towel dispensor and I think it will be perfect for my screw drive.

also go the 5th wheel from Joes truck stop in the mail today!!Thanks Joe!!

screwdrive motor
Old 01-11-2012, 05:24 PM
Green Horn

thought I would post a few sketches of what im thinking
1st one is of the rear bumper and the mudflap stand off

this one is the first idea for the dump lift

and here is the revised simplified version. I will clean this up and redraw it tomorrow.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:27 PM
Craftsman

Diesel Demond is on a distinguished road

wow your sketches are even master peices! that truck is looking real good with the trailer

Flat bedders do it with chains and straps,but now im yanking 53's
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:48 PM
Out of control

fhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawler07 View Post
thought I would post a few sketches of what im thinking
1st one is of the rear bumper and the mudflap stand off

this one is the first idea for the dump lift

and here is the revised simplified version. I will clean this up and redraw it tomorrow.
Your revised version looks good just make sure that the hinge point of the trailer and bed, the mount point of the push rod to the bed, and the mount on the screw drive form a triangle. You want the triangle to be as open as possible. So if you made the bed and frame hinge point the same height as the point where the push rod mounts to the bed it should work good. If it still seams to not want to lift easily you can make a bigger block for the mount that runs on the screw drive and mount the rod so it hangs below the threaded rod to open the triangle even more. My pic below has the push point and the hinge point on opposite ends as yous but I hope you get the idea of what I am trying to say.

I hope this helps.
Travis

RIP FreddyGearDrive 2-12-59/12-19-11
Old 01-11-2012, 09:05 PM
Green Horn

thanks Travis, I was going to make the block that travels the screwdrive with a couple of different mounting points. I understand why it has to be lower at the screwdrive, so it pushes up instead of wanting to just push it forward. Again thanks alot for the advice I need as much as I can get due to not ever building one of these before.

I do have a question about the motor that drives the lift arm. Do I have to install limit switches to stop it in the full up and one for the down position? If so how do you wire them into the motor/ speed control?? Or do I just use a 3 position switch on the remote??
Old 01-11-2012, 09:38 PM
Out of control

fhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud of

You don't have to use limit switches but you do have to pay attention and shut it off and not go to far. Or you can use the controller in the link below and it has solder points for two limit switches so you can stop it automatically at each end. Look at the data sheet and it shows how to wire it as a forward/reverse directional control. Now it is just on and off so you can use it with a 3 pos switch. This is the controller I use in my dumps now and it works great.

RCE220 RC Small Dual Relay Switch

Data sheet

Travis

RIP FreddyGearDrive 2-12-59/12-19-11
Old 01-12-2012, 10:17 AM
Green Horn

Thanks Travis I will look into that dual relay switch when the time comes.
I did get a chance to build the bumper and start on the mudguard stand off whic will also double as an attachment point for the dump box pivot.

My updates are getting smaller and smaller due to having to go into work 2 hrs early for a while, but I will continue finding time for small updates...
Old 01-12-2012, 01:29 PM
Apprentice

Nice progress, your sketches are really impressive too!
Old 01-12-2012, 04:35 PM
Green Horn

Thanks Swagger, heres another one
Old 01-13-2012, 12:56 PM
Apprentice

Even better again!
The reason I appreciate that quality of "sketching" is because I did Technical Graphics / Mechanic drawing for 6 six years in school, alongside engineering. So I can clearly see that you have some level of schooling along those lines just by the way you approach your drawings, the guidelines and 3D/perspective capability. It really helps for testing out ideas before trying to work with and wasting materials, even just for understanding your own concepts and getting dimensions and numbers figured out.

Fair play to ya buddy!
Old 01-17-2012, 09:47 AM
Green Horn

Thanks Swagger, but I have to say I have never had any schooling in this area. I just like to draw and if I think about it hard enough and long enough I can usually get close to it with a pencil and a pad..
But I do agree I like to draw almost every aspect of a build out first so I have a good game plan. If you look at my 5 ton build I think I had a drawing for almost every post lol.
Well made a little time for the dodge this morning

front upper x member, not like a 1:1 but its kinda cool looking lol.

and the kingpin mounting plate

Last edited by crawler07; 01-17-2012 at 10:09 AM.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:37 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Tamiya Cowboy has a spectacular aura aboutTamiya Cowboy has a spectacular aura aboutTamiya Cowboy has a spectacular aura about

I just love looking at this build it just keeps getting better and better! keep up the great work and Travis is the screw drive master he helped my out a bunch on my dump trailer..

HI.. My name is Paul.. And.. I.. Have a Cabover Addiction.

RIP FreddyGearDrive 2-12-59/12-19-11 "LET IT EAT"
Like Us on Facebook "Corn Field Mafia"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-17-2012, 03:06 PM
Green Horn

Thanks! Sorry but who is Travis? I havent been here long enough to know everyone by name just screen names. I would like to pic his brain when it comes time to build and I know I will have questions on the wiring..

Oh never mind FHHHSTIX is Travis.. I will be sure to give him a shout!

Last edited by crawler07; 01-17-2012 at 03:08 PM. Reason: short / long term memory loss
Old 01-18-2012, 08:00 AM
Green Horn

Thanks Tim, I was thinking it needed some more support. I will add a support to the rear of each down tube that goes from the bottom one all the way up the down tube.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:47 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

Nice progress! I really like the trailer frame rails. Your screw drive should work well. You drew up some great prints. I appreciate the attention to to detail. I find myself sketching ideas just like that, all of the time, while work on things for my own models. One of these I'm going to try my hand at some brass work. You make it look so easy!
Old 01-18-2012, 10:04 PM
Green Horn

grumpygrady is on a distinguished road

have you thought about a scissor lift for the dump bed
my old 70 model truck had one and it only had a ram that was 2 foot long to lift the dump all the way up
was wondering if anyone has made one
Old 01-18-2012, 10:37 PM
Wannabe

pumptech is on a distinguished road

Very nice progress on this build,its coming right along.