RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Kings of the Road > Highway Trucks and Trailers

Highway Trucks and Trailers On road trucks and trailers single and twin axle trucks.

Old 03-31-2012, 08:14 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Espeefan's slow motion Peterbilt Heavy Hauler build

Okay, here's a hint on the mystery parts.

Just sizing it up.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:23 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

TRUCKMAKER is on a distinguished road

TANK SUPPORTS!?
Old 03-31-2012, 10:00 PM
Green Horn

Vanisle is on a distinguished road

I guessed tank fuel supports .. in my head.

Re the Omega Drill, I was amazed at how well the Omega Drill worked. I first flattened the top of the broken endmill with an expensive endmill purpose made for it and then used the Omega Drill. It didn't drill through the endmill like butter but it went through without too much difficulty. I bought it from MSC for about $20 and it is well worth it. I thought about buying the set but in the end did not. I believe the smallest size is 5/64. This may not be small enough for some broken off taps (because the ones that break tend to be smaller than that) but at least you could drill them out, fill with JB Weld and re-dril/tap which is better than leaving a broken tap in your part.

Gotta love a DRO for nice even spacing. You have a DRO PROS or am I remembering wrong? I had one on my Grizzly G0704 but sold it with the mill. Actually it was a new replacement because I had a problem with the readout. I have an Anilam Wizard 1000 now and love it (bought it for something like 55% off at Enco last year).
Old 03-31-2012, 11:01 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUCKMAKER View Post
TANK SUPPORTS!?
Yup, that's what they are....supposed to be! These things are going to be a little harder to machine for a newbie, like myself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanisle View Post
I guessed tank fuel supports .. in my head.

Re the Omega Drill, I was amazed at how well the Omega Drill worked. I first flattened the top of the broken endmill with an expensive endmill purpose made for it and then used the Omega Drill. It didn't drill through the endmill like butter but it went through without too much difficulty. I bought it from MSC for about $20 and it is well worth it. I thought about buying the set but in the end did not. I believe the smallest size is 5/64. This may not be small enough for some broken off taps (because the ones that break tend to be smaller than that) but at least you could drill them out, fill with JB Weld and re-dril/tap which is better than leaving a broken tap in your part.

Gotta love a DRO for nice even spacing. You have a DRO PROS or am I remembering wrong? I had one on my Grizzly G0704 but sold it with the mill. Actually it was a new replacement because I had a problem with the readout. I have an Anilam Wizard 1000 now and love it (bought it for something like 55% off at Enco last year).
That's good information, Vanisle. Yes, I do have the DRO PROS on my mill. It's the 3M model. It's extremely handy! I couldn't imagine machining without it now that I have it. It's a great unit and a huge time saver. It has some features I wouldn't mind trying out, but so far have not. It's able to calculate hole patterns and do arcs, both on the x/y axis, and on the z. It basically tells you were to put your end mill in steps, so you get a radius. I thought that was pretty neat, for a manual mill application!
Old 04-01-2012, 04:17 AM
I'd rather be truckin'

Brian in PA will become famous soon enoughBrian in PA will become famous soon enough

Great update Nathan! The boxes look awesome! Will they open??
Old 04-06-2012, 03:36 PM
Green Horn

Dairyland Trucker is an unknown quantity at this point

Now I would have to say excellnt craftsmenship on this build...the attention to detail is just plain sick...I am a very detailed oriented builder and collector and the way you have gone with the detail is just plainly off the hook and I love it looks awesome.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:18 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian in PA View Post
Great update Nathan! The boxes look awesome! Will they open??
Thank you Brian. Opening tool boxes would be sweet, but I don't think I will be attempting that yet! Then I would need straps and binders to put inside?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dairyland Trucker View Post
Now I would have to say excellnt craftsmenship on this build...the attention to detail is just plain sick...I am a very detailed oriented builder and collector and the way you have gone with the detail is just plainly off the hook and I love it looks awesome.
Thanks Dairyland Trucker. Good to see another rare WI guy here. Where abouts are you located in the state?
Old 04-06-2012, 07:21 PM
Green Horn

Dairyland Trucker is an unknown quantity at this point

SE corner just east of Lake Geneva
Old 04-07-2012, 03:43 AM

JAKEBRAKE is on a distinguished road

Espeefan those steps are over the top!!! I think your doing it right. The build is the best part of the hobby, your never done adding things. Great job, maybe you can give me some pointers....
Old 04-15-2012, 12:28 PM

calm n sedated is on a distinguished road

Nathan, it's been a long time! Great to see your still trying to complete this truck sometime this decade! You still into those crazy helocopters? Later, Greg

BTW, speak about all the old timers' coming out of the wood work..........JAKEBRAKE!!! nice to ya too Lee.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:38 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dairyland Trucker View Post
SE corner just east of Lake Geneva
Wow, that's way south of where I am at, but it's always nice to see another member, from WI, on the forum. There aren't to many of us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAKEBRAKE View Post
Espeefan those steps are over the top!!! I think your doing it right. The build is the best part of the hobby, your never done adding things. Great job, maybe you can give me some pointers....
Lee, thank you for the kind comment. I know your work, and I don't think I really need to give you any pointers! Your trailers through the years have been incredible. At one time you and I had been in contact, as I was looking forward to your progress with your 1/16 scale lowboy trailers you were designing. I think you had done up a few 1/14 scale trailers, but I wanted a 1/16 scale trailer for my Wedico. I don't know if you ever pursued making them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calm n sedated View Post
Nathan, it's been a long time! Great to see your still trying to complete this truck sometime this decade! You still into those crazy helocopters? Later, Greg

BTW, speak about all the old timers' coming out of the wood work..........JAKEBRAKE!!! nice to ya too Lee.
Greg, long time no see! Good to see you back. Yes, I'm still struggling to finish this dang truck! I sold my helicopter to put the funds and time into the Wedico and my mill. I miss my helicopter a little, but I can always buy another someday. Right now I'd rather have a Peterbilt.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:00 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Okay guys, a small update for those who have been following along!

As I mentioned in some earlier posts, I was totally dissatisfied with stock fuel tank mounting methods that Wedico uses. I also didn't like the aftermarket solutions any better! So I've been working on making something up to better suit my needs and wants. It's been a trial, but I am making some headway!

Here are some Peterbilt tank saddles, which I tried to loosely base my design after. I took some rough measurements of a real tank saddle, and a few photos. I realized, while researching, that there are at least 3 different types of Peterbilt tank saddles, so I kind of combined the features I liked, and doing the best I could, with the limits of my skills, and my mill, I came up with this.

The saddle hasn't been cut free from the bar stock yet, but you can see what it will look like. I have to machine the other side yet, and then I'll separate the two saddles, but it gives you a good idea of where things are headed. This first saddle was more less a test piece. I have to see if I can duplicate it at least 4 more times! Thanks for looking!

Last edited by Espeefan; 04-19-2012 at 09:09 AM.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:41 AM
I'd rather be truckin'

Brian in PA will become famous soon enoughBrian in PA will become famous soon enough

Nathan I'm speechless!!! those are awesome Great attention to detail.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:50 AM
I'm tryin Boss!

Stylin n profilin has a spectacular aura aboutStylin n profilin has a spectacular aura aboutStylin n profilin has a spectacular aura about

CRAP!! Now you know Nathan we are going have them in Tamiya scale now!! Fire up your mill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
One Bus Stop Short Of The Short Bus...
Old 04-19-2012, 09:59 AM
Dairyland trucker's right hand man.

dabears is on a distinguished road

I would totally buy some of those! that's looking really good so far! It amazes me what you guys can make with your machines! Can't wait to see the finished result of those tank holders! Keep up the good work
Old 04-19-2012, 11:50 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

doodlebug is on a distinguished road

Nice job Nathan, another homerun!
Cheer's, Neil.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:03 PM
Fabrication and design , super moderator

ihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the rough

Nate , I knew you could they look great . now watch these guys

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:15 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Claus is on a distinguished road

Unbelievable!!
Old 04-19-2012, 01:35 PM
Wannabe

Snowman is on a distinguished road

The hours you must have spent crafting that, can't put a price on it. Great work!

My Peterbilt build thread:
Old 04-19-2012, 03:43 PM
Apprentice

SWAGGER is on a distinguished road

Holy crap!! Sick skills....it's very clear that you put some major time and effort in there and the result? Art.