RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Kings of the Road > Highway Trucks and Trailers

Highway Trucks and Trailers On road trucks and trailers single and twin axle trucks.

Old 04-02-2013, 07:28 PM

Ken_Mack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 1950 Kenworth Needlenose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espeefan View Post
Ken, thanks. For colors, I think I'd like to go with some combination of red, black, and silver. Or maybe orange, black, and silver. Then again maybe something totally different - purple, black, and silver? Hard to say. I think when the metal work is done I will have made up my mind. I also think I might send the cab out for custom paint. I'm not very good at that.
How about this...
Old 04-02-2013, 10:16 PM

dirthalr is on a distinguished road

Wow that is quite the paint job, stacks and all!
Old 04-02-2013, 10:30 PM

FATBOY is on a distinguished road

there is a guy on RCC that goes by the screen name MTHead, that can make the cummings logo you're after, and it'll be chrome. he's very reasonable as well. here's a pic of a custom grill emblem he made for me for my yota crawler.

it actually has sorta brushed aluminum look, and has a satin black outline, and they are self adhesive. he can make you anything you want, any size scale.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:05 AM
Craftsman

Diesel Demond is on a distinguished road

man that truck is just to perfect!! great craftsmanship and details. those tanks are so cool and all the hardware on the frame is eye candy great looking truck

Flat bedders do it with chains and straps,but now im yanking 53's
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:47 AM
Journeyman

Bigrigger is on a distinguished road

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but congratulations on Build of the Month for March, Nathan! This is one impressive rig, and it deserves every award and complement given to it, and it's builder! Great work, buddy! Now, let's see an update!
Old 04-06-2013, 03:35 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Claus is on a distinguished road

Hey!,hey!, hey! What are those tasty German treats in the background? Are you putting some Hillbilly in this truck?
Old 04-06-2013, 01:17 PM
Craftsman

Snochaser will become famous soon enoughSnochaser will become famous soon enough

Simply beautiful Nate. Great work and attention to detail.

Ben
R.I.P. FGD

Work Hard, Play Hard!
Never Forget- 343
Old 04-08-2013, 03:12 PM
Wannabe

JDH429 is on a distinguished road

Congratulations on your contest win! Well Deserved!
Old 04-09-2013, 03:34 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claus View Post
Heavy Duty!!!!
Thanks Craig!

Quote:
Originally Posted by egronvold View Post
It´s a very good looking truck. Nice craftsmanship!
Thank you egronvold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavy_duty View Post
Man,That's JUST Awesome.Great skills are being applied here.

Ed
Thank you Ed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUCKMAKER View Post
Nathan,
I sent you a second PM on the C's.
Thanks Kent. Sent one back to you too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirthalr View Post
The mudflap brackets look awesome! So does the rear center section of the truck! Keep the awesomeness coming
Jimmy, thanks for the comments! The rear of the truck is starting to get that finished look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmhauler View Post
looks like the thing weighs 20 lbs!
Not sure what she weighs yet, farmhauler. It gets a little heavier with every update though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_Mack View Post
How about this...
That's pretty darn fancy! I like some things about the paint scheme, but not everything! Stacks should be chrome, or stainless. Still thinking about color ideas, but I haven't decided yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATBOY View Post
there is a guy on RCC that goes by the screen name MTHead, that can make the cummings logo you're after, and it'll be chrome. he's very reasonable as well. here's a pic of a custom grill emblem he made for me for my yota crawler.

it actually has sorta brushed aluminum look, and has a satin black outline, and they are self adhesive. he can make you anything you want, any size scale.
Thanks FATBOY! I appreciate the lead. I may check into it. You are one of a few guys who have come forward with some good suggestions, and help. I appreciate the kindness in helping me find what I need. You guys are great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Demond View Post
man that truck is just to perfect!! great craftsmanship and details. those tanks are so cool and all the hardware on the frame is eye candy great looking truck
Thanks Diesel Demond! I'm liking the hardware everywhere too! Once painted, the stainless fasteners will pop out nicely!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigrigger View Post
Not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but congratulations on Build of the Month for March, Nathan! This is one impressive rig, and it deserves every award and complement given to it, and it's builder! Great work, buddy! Now, let's see an update!
Bigrigger, thank you kindly! I was a bit surprised my truck made build of the month. It's not even done yet, and there were some really awesome nominations. It was a tight race. Hopefully when my truck is finished, it will look even better!

Quote:
Hey!,hey!, hey! What are those tasty German treats in the background? Are you putting some Hillbilly in this truck?
Why it appears as though someone stole the rear ends off the Hillbilly Deluxe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snochaser View Post
Simply beautiful Nate. Great work and attention to detail.

Ben
Thank you very much, Ben. I appreciate it, especially after seeing what you are capable of building!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDH429 View Post
Congratulations on your contest win! Well Deserved!
Thanks JD. And thanks to everyone who took the time to check out my build, and decided to throw a vote in my direction. I appreciate it guys.
Old 04-09-2013, 03:49 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

And now for an update!

Love'em or hate'em, I finally made up a set of big fat stacks for the 1950 KW, and because I needed the cab to be removable for battery access, I also ended up maching a set of stack mounts, so the stacks could be left on the chassis.

Don't worry, the zip ties are just temporary. When I get the stacks drilled for mounting holes, scews will hold everything together. The stack height is yet to be determined, although it's pretty darn close to where the stacks will sit. I am also planning on making some cross bracing to tie the stack mounts together, and they will probably bolt to the chassis deck plate, which is yet to come.

I'll have to send the stacks out for chroming, eventually. I found a somewhat local chromer, in my state that I'm going try out. As soon as I get a few finishing touches done on the mounts, and stacks, off they'll go! I'm kind of looking forward to that. I hope they turn out nice.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:46 AM

Looking good Nathan! Are we not having a rear window? Underneath the stack of tires hanging on the wall is that a hot rod engine?

Jimmy
Old 04-09-2013, 08:42 AM
Wannabe

Forget the hot rod engine, How about the Optimus Prime Prison Guard? Why Aint this truck finished yet boy!?

Old 04-09-2013, 08:45 AM
Wannabe

Looks Killer Nate!
Old 04-09-2013, 01:09 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Looking good Nathan! Are we not having a rear window? Underneath the stack of tires hanging on the wall is that a hot rod engine?

Jimmy
Thanks Jimmy! Yes, I will have a rear window. I just haven't got around to milling it open yet. Lots of more complex things I'd rather work on first, you know? I think the window will be one of the easier things to finish.

That is a hot rod engine, in the background, and a partially completed pinewood derby car for the engine to go into. There is an annual adult pinewood derby car contest that is put on by a local group every year. I thought I'd give it a shot, just for fun.

Quote:
Forget the hot rod engine, How about the Optimus Prime Prison Guard? Why Aint this truck finished yet boy!?

Quote:
Looks Killer Nate!
Thanks Jason! Optimus Prime does make sure I'm always working on the KW (weapon always drawn) when I'm in the workshop, but he must not be cracking the whip to badly! I'm going almost as fast as I can!
Old 04-09-2013, 05:06 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Claus is on a distinguished road

Nathan, awesome! You're killing me, making me want to ditch my sleeper and chop a couple inches off my frame.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:20 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

RCP57 is on a distinguished road

Nice job! Those stacks are huge! I didn't like them at first but the more I look at the pics and imagine them chromed the more they grow on me! Keep up the good work!
Old 04-09-2013, 11:09 PM

Nathan,
Just had a thought, the rear window oval shaped? Kinda old schoolish. Might fit with the retro mod look.
Jimmy
Old 04-14-2013, 04:24 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Nathan, awesome! You're killing me, making me want to ditch my sleeper and chop a couple inches off my frame.
Thanks Craig! I think your Peterbilt looks great with the sleeper, but you know I'm a fan of day cabs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP57 View Post
Nice job! Those stacks are huge! I didn't like them at first but the more I look at the pics and imagine them chromed the more they grow on me! Keep up the good work!
Thanks Reg! I agree with you. Once they are chrome plated, and I get a visor on the cab, it will all pull together well. I already like my stacks. I'll like them more with a drop visor.

Quote:
Nathan,
Just had a thought, the rear window oval shaped? Kinda old schoolish. Might fit with the retro mod look.
Jimmy
Jimmy, good idea, although I feel an oval window look better on a Peterbilt. Just because the Peterbilt emblems are oval too. I really don't have an easy way to mill out an oval either. I'd have to ask one my machinist friends at work to do it with one of the CNC mills. We'll see!
Old 04-14-2013, 04:36 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Time for a weekend update guys.

The Kenworth turned into a glider, but for good reason! I got some new goodies to add to the build.

Santa 'Claus' dropped off an early Christmas present. Thanks Craig. You are a heck of a friend. A little bit of the Hillbilly Deluxe will live on with the Kenworth now. I spent a little time this afternoon cleaning up the casting lines on the new axles, and swapping the hardware for stainless screws and nuts. They'll look great when, and if, I paint them now.

It might be hard to see, but I am re-working the torque and radius rod mounts, so I can get improved 4 link geometery. I machined up a couple blocks that bolt to the bolsters, replacing the original L-brackets that were used before. I'm also going to work on new top link mounts for the axles. More pictures to come, as I make some progress.

Last edited by Espeefan; 04-14-2013 at 04:39 PM.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:35 PM
Green Horn

petermoblin is on a distinguished road

This build is really amazing Nathan. I love all the detail and hard work your putting into it. Can't wait to see more!