RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Kings of the Road > Highway Trucks and Trailers

Highway Trucks and Trailers On road trucks and trailers single and twin axle trucks.

Old 09-20-2013, 09:29 AM
Wannabe

kingbob is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Movie Optimus Prime build

OK, i've sprayed a touch paint up over the bit of run paint, now have to wait and see how it looks when dry.

But i've come to a decision, i'm going to finish the truck with the body as-is, and it should look passable from a distance. But, the body has so many flaws, mistakes, and re-works in its history, that it just isnt in a state that i consider done to the best of my ability. In some places the paint/primer/putty is thicker than the plastic.

So once finished, i'm going to build a new body for it, with all the lessons learnt applied. I know what modifications i need, how best to apply the paint, and so on.

Starting from a pristine body, i think i can get all the bodywork done in a weekend, get then do the red painting the following week, then the blue a week later. But since the truck will be finished, i wont have to rush, or be waiting on it before i can continue.

Does that sound like a good plan, or am i mad? lol
Old 09-21-2013, 03:30 AM
Wannabe

Got the chrome trim around the doors etc finished. Roof lights and exhausts attached, and mounted the breathers and grille. Still have 10,000 things to do, but its starting to look the part now!

Old 09-26-2013, 04:21 AM
Wannabe

So over the last few days ive done loads of bits and pieces to the truck.

Lowered the steps and added air tanks to them.
Made and fitted hood latches.
Replaced the rear toolboxes with more detailed ones.
Shortened the headache rack mounts to the right height, then made U bolts for it and mounted it, along with chains.
Fitted bezels and LEDs the the rear fenders. Added stone guards to the front of them, then mounted them to the chassis.

And dare I say it, but I think, actual chassis and body construction might just be complete! :O

There are a few little things left to do:
-Add LEDs to the breather lights
-Properly polish the breathers (they're still raw ali)
-Mount the lenses to the headlights

Then its just electrical work:
-Add speed controller and reciever
-Hook the LEDs up to their control box.

The LED control box is still on its way, hopefully should be here next week.

Im tempted to take all the shiny aluminium parts to get chromed, but a few pieces have Lynns bezels super glued in, and I'm sure I'd end up breaking them or damage parts while removing them, so may wait and see what the finished product looks like after their final polishing.

Then just need to finish the trailer!
Old 09-27-2013, 08:12 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

Bob, that paint job really shines in natural sunlight! Despite the flaws, it's still really beautiful. Especially with all the aluminum/chrome parts added to the cab. Very nice. I don't blame you for making a whole new cab. For the very reasons you stated, I hate body work. I haven't figured out how to do it well enough to be up to par for my own personal standards, so I have stayed away from doing any of it. Same with painting, unless it's a simple one color job. So no, you're not mad, you're a perfectionist. So am I, so I admire your desire to make things perfect. I've made lots of parts for my own truck two, three, and four times over. When you know you can do better, you won't settle for anything less.

All that said, the truck still looks awesome.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:40 AM
Wannabe

Yeah the colours work well. That blue seems almost Ultraviolet, seems to suck in the sunlight! But given that i havent done any styrene re-work like this before, i think i'm allowed to call this one the practice body! All the lessons learnt will be applied to the next one.

Had a productive weekend though. Got the breathers and headlights all polished up, wired up all the headlights and breather lights, and made the headlight lenses.

Theres no more drilling, glueing, cutting, painting or parts to add!
All i'm waiting on is the light control box, and its finished!

Still have the trailer to do, but by comparison thats nothing.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:49 PM
Dairyland trucker's right hand man.

dabears is on a distinguished road

Looking awesome!!!! Cant wait to see it finished!!!
Old 10-06-2013, 03:58 AM
Wannabe

I'm still waiting for the controller for the lights to arrive, so no night shots yet

I have just realised that i havent put the windscreen wipers on yet, nor the width indicators on the bumper. The tips of the exhausts should be cut at 45deg, but still waiting for them to arrive.

Comments? Thoughts?
Old 10-06-2013, 04:00 AM
Wannabe

Oh and need to put a touch of red paint in the Autobot logo on the hood too.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:20 AM
Green Horn

wolfws6 is on a distinguished road

Looks awsome, good job!!!!
Old 10-12-2013, 11:49 AM
Wannabe

The controller for the lights came in a couple of days ago. Got it from Integy, these its a 4 channel set with headlights, brake lights, reverse, fog, roof, and 2 aux channels.

Got it all hooked up on the workbench, all the channels connected. Indicators work, and with a switch can turn them to hazard lights so they both flash. The 4th channel setup on a toggle switch lets you cycle through. Each time you throw it, it turns on one of the 4 extras, so can switch lights on individually. Works fairly well.

Except the reverse and brake lights. For the life of me, just can not get them to work properly. When turned on the brake lights come on and stay on. Can throttle up or brake, and they dont change, and the reverse lights never come on. I've switched channels on the radio, on the reciever, but makes no difference. Have tested the LEDs themselves and they work, just the function doesnt. Note that the speedy and motor do what they're meant to.

Has anyone else used this set, nad any similar issues? Or tips?

I've emailed Integy, maybe its just faulty, dont know. But annoying since this is all thats holding up the truck from being finished!
Old 10-12-2013, 12:08 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

Looks so good Bob, I can't see any flaws on it anymore, even though I know they are there. Heck of a result for a practice Optimus Prime! Beautiful. The next one will be an incredible treat to the eyes, seeing how well this one turned out.
Old 10-12-2013, 12:49 PM
Wannabe

Its funny, even though i've decided to make a V2 body for it, i still want to complete this one. It does look ok, but every time i look at it i see some other tiny thing i need to do to it. I realised i havent added the silver vent on the sleeper doors, nor door handles! At least they're all simple things.

Have to admit, i do get a little sense of pride when i look over and see it on the bench
Old 10-12-2013, 03:23 PM
Journeyman

Bigrigger is on a distinguished road

That is amazing, Bob! Quite a finish for this fantastic build! It looks just like the movie truck! This thing is a work of art, and I don't see any flaws because I'm blinded by all the chrome! Lookin' good KB!
Old 10-18-2013, 11:12 AM
Wannabe

I ordered another control unit from another shop and manufacturer. probably exactly the same underneath but was slightly cheaper. Got it today, hooked it up, and worked first go.
Clearly not a problem with my radio/reciever/speedy etc.

Tomorrow i wire it in, and Prime will be lit!
Fingers crossed it looks good!
Old 10-18-2013, 12:38 PM

Mojave450rider is on a distinguished road

Sick build! I remember playing with Optimus as a kid and he was always my favorite.
Old 10-20-2013, 12:22 PM
Wannabe

Comments?
Old 10-20-2013, 12:36 PM
Green Horn

Trucker_Jo is on a distinguished road

That's awesome!Do you have any rear pictures in the dark?
Old 10-20-2013, 12:40 PM
Wannabe

Actually no I forgot lol
I'll take some in a few days, I need to drill out a couple of holes in the rear light plate for the reversing and indicator lights. But the 3 lights in each fender work, you can just see a slight red glow in the second one.
Old 10-28-2013, 03:00 AM
Wannabe

I'm not sure i can quite bring myself to say it, for fear of jinxing something, but there is a distinct possibility of a chance that maybe, just maybe... the truck is... finished!

Old 11-03-2013, 04:46 AM
Wannabe

I found a few little things todo to the truck still.
1: Add a touch of red paint into the autobot logo on the front grille. Easy to do.
2: Add coiled hoses for trailer attachment (they do appear in reference pics). Easy to do.
3: Add the width indicators to the sides of the front bumper. Problematic, cant work out a secure way to attach them.

Have restarted work on the trailer today too. Drilled out the holes in the upper and lower frame for all the blue LEDs. Also primed those frame parts ready to be painted blue once the primer cures. Its THAT dreaded blue i had so many troubles with, but needs to match the truck so have no choice.

Started soldering leads on the multitude of LEDs for the trailer. I might make up a little relay board with a separate battery for them. The light controller wont have the power to drive them all as is.

And need to raid the electronics store to try and find some miniature connectors to connect the truck to trailer.