RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's General Discussion. > General Discussion

General Discussion A place to post off topic discussions.

Old 02-13-2018, 03:13 PM
Green Horn

Cat966c is on a distinguished road
Default Car radio questions

Hey everybody, this is my first time in general discussion so take it easy lol. I was recently driving my car and I was coming to a red light and had my thumb on the touchscreen of my subaru radio. Well I came to a quick stop because the light went from green to red with no yellow.
So my thumb cracked the touchscreen and now it won’t respond to touch, but everything else works.
I called my dealer and they said it would be 1000+ dollars to replace the radio and code it and stuff 😱😬😬😵. And 135 if I bought the radio and they swapped it out.
I was thinking about taking the radio out myself (because youtube) and was wondering if one has to code anything or if the mechanic was just trying to get money out of me. Because I didn’t see anything to do with coding in the videos I watched.

Thanks
Old 02-13-2018, 03:35 PM

scottyk is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Car radio questions

Im not 100% sure on subaru, but I remember back to when I was a car mechanic and some of the foreign car companies would have the radio code in the owners manual on the front or back cover. Also I believe you can get the code from the dealer if you have the VIN and a radio serial and part No., but you might want to pretend you are calling from a shop, "say Mike from so and so automotive and I just need to get a radio code for VIN # whatever" call and talk to parts Dept. Otherwise they will want you to bring in the car, pay the money, talk to service advisors, etc...

The cars I've had to do this with, when you first turn on the car after a radio replacement it would prompt you for the radio code on the radio screen itself.

Google would be your friend, but this is what my memory can recall. Also if it has GPS on the radio this sometimes requires its own code separate from the radio.
Old 02-14-2018, 03:02 AM
Green Horn

Cool! Thanks mate!
Old 02-14-2018, 01:46 PM
Green Horn

I don’t suppose anybody would know how to replace the touchscreen by itself?? I’ve seen videos of other car models touchscreen replacements, but I don’t know for sure about the 2015 subaru impreza.