RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment

Construction Equipment If it digs, pushes, hauls dirt "off road" post it here.

Old 01-16-2020, 12:57 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

frizzen is on a distinguished road
Default Yale Forklift - NewRay

I've been wanting an rc forklift for a while. I had picked up a static Bruder Linde H30 about a year ago, but it's been pretty slow to plan out converting to rc.

I just picked up the NewRay Yale with pallet rack and some cargo. I sometimes run Yales at work, and it's a little bigger

They come set up as 3 channel binary control, runs on 3aa batterys, 9v in the tx. Not that impressive, but fun. I can see why the old reviews on these weren't great when they were yellow and Yale branded. It had weak steering one direction, then it gave out, within a week of getting it.

Wasn't planning to upgrade until after the Lebanon show, but it changed those plans. Nothing too crazy to start with, 6ch rx, metal gear servo, 2 cheap escs, a blinky rotator light, some 3mm leds, 4aa rx pack.
Old 01-17-2020, 07:15 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Default Re: Yale Forklift - NewRay

I took a look again at the several rc sparks videos of upgrading the Carson h40 Linde they run on the Loading stuff and went similar but different.
https://youtu.be/JSBuD7sZwV8
https://youtu.be/QsLQpNzo_EI

The small cheap no-name brushed escs are a good fit, it's only pushing 130 motors.
Steering servo is just a little mg90s that took a setup i wasn't fully happy with and will probably change if i convert another, but it kept it all below the battery rack and might even get me some high speed wobble.
I used a flysky "fs-x6b" rx, and it just happens that board uses the same mount spacing as some posts in the forklift. I don't actually reccomend it since you basically have to make power and ground bus and connect individual signal wires. I like plug&play rx options better.

Battery lives up in the forklifts counterweight, i knocked out the seperators and forward wall to shove battery through. Also hogged out the battery cover so i wouldn't need to worry about pinching a wire. Stuck some micro JST connectors on because they look pretty similar to scaled down Anderson PowerPoles.

Had to put a yellow beacon on, Safety Third.
It's not right to *ever* try to be a spotter for a forklift without having lights shining directly in your eyes, so i drilled out the square housings for some 3mm leds, all wiring routed down a channel in the ROPS and tapped the yellow beacons harness for power with a resistor. White lights and beacon on when model turned on, then beacon switchable modes to help when several run together.

It takes 3 screws to split the body off the chassis, and now Light and Battery connectors to completely remove it.

Dropped a Bruder figure in the seat, probably needs a seatbelt. It's got a cup holder on the bulkhead, so i opened that up and shaved the bottom of a dollhouse Coke bottle. Had to pop the cap and drill the mouth of the bottle.

Think i'm probably going to need to order some decals for this after i paint the black parts. Maybe make a book holder for the seat. Probably some weathering.

Last edited by frizzen; 01-18-2020 at 07:15 PM.
Old 01-18-2020, 07:16 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Still looks pretty similar, wish i had the yellow Yale version, but i think i've got a pretty good plan for a company livery.

I should have actually screwed on the battery cover, but i was in a hurry
Old 01-19-2020, 07:39 AM

Originalrob is on a distinguished road

Hi frizzen

Nice project what scale are these in ?
Old 01-19-2020, 06:07 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Thank you rob!

The newray Yale VX60 is 1/14, with a 1/16 bruder driver added. The bruder Linde for comparison is 1/16 .
Old 01-28-2020, 06:27 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

I was hoping this might be of interest to more of you. These really let you go nuts flexing your scaleness

Found a couple logos i'm trying do decide between, fixed the stripe, made a bigger rack, made some wood pallets, scrounging some cargo...

Old 02-07-2020, 07:04 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

These pics from this Lebanon IN meet have been stolen from wolfws6. Thank you.

Somebody brought these docks

They also had one of the old Robbie linde forklifts, so i got to check that out a little. So cool

Anyway, i snuck over and put some stuff on the docks to operate my fork. Turns out 'loading docks' are not good at being 'warehouses'.
I also need to mod a little more to crank my steering even tighter, it's much better than stock, but for real tight use like that it probably needs somewhere between drift car and shopping cart.

Huh, that one is not my fork. Mine has the full Yale blackout stripe.

--

Behold the ugly!!!

I had a lot of words written out explaining this, then while i was dropping keyboard off screen to reread something it tried to post. Token expired. This is like 4th try now. "Not today Lao Che!"

I'm going to bed.

Last edited by frizzen; 02-07-2020 at 07:21 AM.
Old 02-07-2020, 09:22 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

I make NO claims this is the best way to mod one. This is my way, with only what i had on hand, on a tight schedule. "Yay the forklift is here! I will not mod anything on it until after the meet, oh the steering died. Panic and upgrade it really fast!"

I pulled the stock steering gearbox out, hogged out the fender liners for tire clearance for more angle. I should have also trimmed the top steering retainer plate to get max angle. I matched servo horn length to the steering gear pin-fulcrum, made a J shape brass thing that pokes into the draglink. Draglink center hole was drilled to size for the brass J to take out the slop it would have had. I probably should put something like a fender liner around the servo and fwd side of fenders to help keep stuff out

Hoist&drive are stock, i just added escs. I took the power switch from one and hooked it up to my power switch on bottom. I pulled red wire out of rx plug on other so it's not on 2 bec. Both esc hook up parallel to the battery.

For Rack-Tilt this way, the body needs modified a little. i removed the U shape piece with the "rack cylinders" and dumped the springs. I cut slots in the rack cylinders, and drilled holes in the "rack tilt actuator rams", passed a rod through the actuators to be a crossbar. Make the rack cylinders silver or chrome. Found a place to stick a servo on the hoist/drive gearbox, made a linkage with a Z-bend and a loopy to hold the crossbar. I need to put a sleeve or something on the crossbar to keep the linkage from moving sideways. The body had some supports that i had to cut for clearance of my crossbar, study the pics, be sure to keep the parts that hold the U shape. Make sure crossbar isn't too long and binds on outer sides of body.

***added*** Thinking about how the Carson Linde forks work.... If i were smarter my rack tilt would probably be done with a continious rotation servo mounted vertically with a linkage running to the same style actuators. This way when moved it should just cycle rack fwd and back, and should hold location where ever stopped. My current setup is about vertical, until you push and hold rack one way. Or i could have put it on a Pot channel.

Cram everything you can under the rx board. Make sure the escs aren't going to interfere with the steps in body. Stuff the extra wiring up under the seat when installing body. If you cut out part of battery compartment, take the door off to help see what binds as it closes.

Think it through, test fit often, don't do something you can't undo unless you're sure.

I think i mentioned cutting out the 3aa battery rack to hold a 4aa rx pack. I know it could take bigger mAh lipo than these nimh. It's got some runtime, but i'm not trying to make driving this a job.

I'm also going to put some lead in the chassis later. Won't go too crazy, it's only like 130 size motors with a 700mAh battery.

Last edited by frizzen; 02-08-2020 at 07:34 PM.
Old 02-10-2020, 09:47 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

skeeter is on a distinguished road

Interesting conversion, Frizzy! Makes me want to try doing one. Currently I've a Bruder telehandler conversion that I'm slowly working on. Perhaps once that's done I can think about starting one of these!
Old 04-01-2020, 04:01 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Decided we needed to expand into paper products

https://youtu.be/x1aHqFgxA9U

-
Due to the pandemic and panic buying shortages, the Lao Che Airfreight warehouse is loading toilet paper on trucks and trailers

Last edited by frizzen; 04-02-2020 at 05:22 PM.
Old 04-01-2020, 11:15 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Well, I tried the Tamiya forkie. IT SUCKS! The plastic is flimsy! I thought I needed an off road forkie, AKA the Bruder zoom boom, as well as a warehouse forkie. I still need to get the Bruder conversion finished..................along with a TON of other projects! One of these day's I'll get around to getting my New Ray converted to hobby grade. I'd use it as is for a bit, but the jerkiness of teh tilt.................NOT goign to happen!
Old 04-02-2020, 05:19 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

I'd seen a couple people build some tamiya science-kit forklift that didn't look very awesome. Not sure if it's the same one as yours?

I think rcsparks had mentioned a bruder zoom-boom conversion in a video and talked some about how hard it was to do.

If i needed an Offroad Forklift, i'll go with a converted Bruder cat Tracked skidsteer and the 02318 attachment accessory pack they make for it. It has a Rack that replaces bucket and accepts either Flat forks, Round forks, or a Winch. Plus a cage pallet and some other adapter you don't need for this.

If your warehouse is flat enough, you could just lockout the rack tilt on the NewRay. The jerky is friction somewhere in the mast, but i wimped out and added a control servo instead of making it move perfectly first.

Last edited by frizzen; 06-26-2020 at 06:13 PM.
Old 04-02-2020, 09:28 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

The wharehouse will be flat concrete flooring. I like the idea of having the tilting mast, but I may permanently fix it straight, just to make the conversion less complicated, easier, & faster to perform.

RcSparks did mention the build. I have the STL files for it, but haven't the time to tackle it right now.

The Tamiya forkie ISN'T very awesome! It is the science build that I was working with. I liked that it was a 3 wheeled forkie, so it could maneuver in tight quarters. After seeing how fragile they are, I wish I'd NEVER bought it. I knew when I bought it I would have to so some serious modifications to make er look scaleish.
Old 04-10-2020, 01:04 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

I got a bit side tracked in the garage today! I intended to tinker a bit on that AWESOME arrow board you did for me! Instead, I got wrapped up in those darn forklifts. I almost got both of them ready to operate. Soon I will get working on that arrow board!
Old 06-09-2020, 06:32 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

I got bored and went looking at the germans again...
Found this thread of inspiration for making various cargo to play with.

https://www.modelltruckforum.de/inde...egut/&24183bfd

Or auto-translated auf English
https://translate.googleusercontent....h-a3yw91gf7L_Q

---

Also i've learned that i need to start watching for a Nikko / Happy People '34450' . "RC UPS Jungheinrich 1:16 forklift"
https://youtu.be/Z-1NRmKKQCY
It's already available in europe, a 3-wheeled fork with fixed mast should be more maneuverable for doing light loading.

--
Apparently there are 10 common Types of Forklift
https://www.bigrentz.com/blog/forklift-types

Last edited by frizzen; 06-22-2020 at 06:51 PM.
Old 07-29-2020, 04:53 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

I've been having too much fun making and moving different types of cargo. Good thing i don't understand what this air-freight company really does, that could be limiting...

Next time i'm inside this machine, i really should figure out how to lock or tighten the clutch for the hoist system.

If anybody else gets one of these, take the plastic Pallet Rack they come with and glue some strips of solder into the inside gaps in the channels. Even just doing the 4 legs up to the first shelf, and the bottom of the first shelf rails, makes a HUGE difference on if your operator lightly bumps it, or knocks over the rack.

The guy over on Scale4x4 that i gave pics and dimentions to CAD and print one of the 'forklift' Propane canisters still hasn't gotten back to me, so it's probably going to stay a diesel unit.
I'm not sure if i should try to make the rear lettering say YALE or YOLO
Old 07-29-2020, 11:42 AM
Green Horn

Wombii is on a distinguished road

YALE, but have a warehouse employee spray paint the two O's. Is Scale4x4 down by the way?
Old 07-29-2020, 04:50 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Ok, that would be funnier.

I haven't been able to get on Scale4x4rc for about a week, sending me to a Database Error page.
Here's the most i can find about it
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/chit-...=-no-more.html
Old 07-29-2020, 04:50 PM
Journeyman

jerry56 is on a distinguished road

Clearly you need to train your drivers better...
I was going to ask the same thing Wombii....

By the way are you done yelling at clouds....and I agree 100% about FB... that's why I keep starting threads on basic questions so other noobies like me see we are still here....well that and I need to know the basic stuff....

Last edited by jerry56; 07-29-2020 at 04:58 PM.
Old 07-29-2020, 08:33 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Doing proper driver training isn't as much fun (or useful to getting people into the hobby) as handing the remote to someone that's interested. If i keep at it i probably should even make a Noob-Rack that has solid floors and plenty of weight.
Always remember, Safety 3rd. If safety were #1, i'd wrap you in bubble wrap and send you back home.

...but...I kinda LIKE yelling at the clouds...