RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > R/C Boats > Boats!

Boats! Here is a place to show off your boat.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-23-2022, 05:32 PM
Green Horn

ddmckee54 is on a distinguished road
Default RC Benchy

I don't know if I'd exactly call it a boat or not, it's ugly enough to be cute. I stumbled across an RC version of Benchy on Thingiverse. If you're not into 3D printing. Benchy is used to benchmark how well your printer is performing, hence the name Benchy. That version of Benchy is only a couple of inches long, the RC version is about 8 times bigger. The print files were on Thingiverse, and as soon as I quit laughing I told myself that I gotta build on of those. Somewhere I even saw a picture of somebody that had built a version with one of the Mario Bros. as the captain.

This is about where I'm at on this project. I hope this works, I haven't had a lot of luck posting images on this site.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw...-no?authuser=0

I've reprinted the bow section which isn't in the picture, and the blue hull section. That section had a layer shift that I finally figured out what was causing it to happen. The blue section you are looking at was the 2nd attempt and the layer shift occurred at about the same place both times. It was also too big, I thing I fat-fingered the scaling factor. The 3rd time printing that part was the charm, came out looking GOOD, and it fits perfectly.

The Thingiverse files give you the option of building Benchy as either a tugboat, or as a fishing boat. I was talking with one of the engineers that I work about the RC Benchy, and he christened him "Dreadnought Benchy", the name stuck. I'm going to build RC Benchy Option #3, the heavily armed tugboat version. He's got to be able to defend himself doesn't he?

Don