RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Tech section. > Electronics tech

Electronics tech Anything to do with the electronics in a model. Lights, Radio, ESC, Servo, Basic electrical.

Old 06-02-2021, 04:26 PM

Tgrzes is on a distinguished road
Default Switch question

Does anyone know of a 3 position on-off-on Pico/battle type switch that I could pair with the 3 position switches on my transmitter? I'm almost done building what I need using servos and roller switches, but I'd still like to find an easy electronic solution if possible. I assume something could be done with Arduino, but I'm not going to be learning that anytime soon. Thanks!
Old 06-03-2021, 02:20 PM
BANNED

Lil Giants has disabled reputation
Default Re: Switch question

Has Dimension Engineering stopped offering the Pico or Battle switch?

What are you attempting to do with it?

Any small 10A esc would work the same as a DPDT switch, just takes up a little more space than the DE switches.

Joe
Old 06-03-2021, 03:21 PM

The Pico and battle switches are still available, but to the best of my knowledge, they're just 2 position switches (on/off). Using a 3-position switch on my transmitter, I want to activate a solenoid valve when I throw the transmitter switch in one direction, then activate a different load when I throw the switch in the other direction. In the center/off position, both loads are off. For now, I'm mounting two roller switches next to a servo and will use the servo horn to activate the switches, but I'd like to find a simple electronic solution so that I don't have to worry about aligning/adjusting the roller switches.
Old 06-04-2021, 03:11 PM
Journeyman

jerry56 is on a distinguished road

would these work.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/15264129414...46836413de710e
This guy installed 3 position switches in a flysky radio
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_tUL6lLRiw
Old 06-04-2021, 04:57 PM

Thanks for the links Jerry! My transmitter already has a few 3 position switches. The issue is on the receiver side - finding a 3 position switch that can be used in conjunction with the 3 position switches on my transmitter. It all boils down to conserving channels. I could accomplish what I want using 4 Pico switches and 4 channels, but I really need to do it using two. For now, I can certainly continue down the path of mechanical switching using servos and roller switches since I almost have them built anyway. I just wanted to see if there was any easy electronic solution. Thanks for looking!
Old 06-06-2021, 02:07 PM
BANNED

Lil Giants has disabled reputation

The Battle switch is a single pole double throw, so it will do the job what your mechanical switches are doing with less wiring.

https://www.dimensionengineering.com...s/battleswitch

https://www.dimensionengineering.com...ch-diagram.jpg

Joe
Old 06-06-2021, 08:40 PM

Thanks for trying to help out with this! I actually reached out to them last week and they confirmed that their Battle Switch (SPDT) and their Double Switch (DPDT) wouldn’t work because they are both 2 position switches and they don’t carry anything that’s 3 position.

Here’s a picture of one of my mechanical servo switches ready to go. Switch one controls a pump. Switch 2 controls a solenoid valve. In the neutral position, both switches are off. When the servo rotates counter clockwise, both the pump and the solenoid are activated. When it rotates clockwise, just the pump is activated.
[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Tgrzes; 06-07-2021 at 07:32 AM. Reason: Fix typo (SPDT)
Old 06-07-2021, 04:15 PM
Journeyman

jerry56 is on a distinguished road

pretty slick...
Of course it's only temporary ... unless it works...
Old 06-13-2021, 12:45 PM
Green Horn

Wombii is on a distinguished road

Very nice servo switch!
I don't know if this helps, but if you wanted to replace it with an arduino nano or something, the following code should in theory emulate it, reading one radio channel and switching two outputs. I just wrote it, but I haven't tested it. You could add a couple more channels.
Note that the arduino can only output signal levels of current, less than 20mA per pin, so you'd need some transistors or relays to actually switch the solenoid and pump. Or hook up small esc's or servo boards (or battleswitches?) to the arduino and control those with the servo library instead of switching the outputs high and low.

Code:
//give the pins human readable names
const byte inputPin = 8;

const byte outputPin_A = 2;
const byte outputPin_B = 3;

void setup() {
  // put your setup code here, to run once:

//Set output pins to type "output". This means the pins switches between 5v and GND. You need to use external resistors to limit current under 20mA.
  pinMode(outputPin_A,OUTPUT);
  pinMode(outputPin_B,OUTPUT);

}

void loop() {
  // put your main code here, to run repeatedly:

int radioSignal = 0;
  radioSignal = pulseIn(inputPin,HIGH);            //Reads the pulsewidth of the input pin

if (radioSignal > 1700)                          //if switch is up set output A to 5v and B to 0v
  { 
    digitalWrite(outputPin_A,HIGH);
    digitalWrite(outputPin_B,LOW);
  } 
  else if (radioSignal < 1300 && radioSignal > 0)  //if switch is down set output A and B to 5v
  { 
    digitalWrite(outputPin_A,HIGH);
    digitalWrite(outputPin_B,HIGH);
  } 
  else                                             //if switch is centered or no signal set output A and B to 0v
  {
    digitalWrite(outputPin_A,LOW);
    digitalWrite(outputPin_B,LOW); 
  }

}
Old 06-13-2021, 03:17 PM

Thanks so much for doing that! Learning arduino is something I’d definitely like to do some day, but it probably won’t be for quite awhile. In the mean time, I just found a couple of these dual relays for $10 each on eBay. They’re exactly what I needed. With the transmitter switch in the center position, both relays are open. Throw the switch in one direction and one relay closes. Throw the switch in the opposite direction and the other relay closes. Thanks again!!
[IMG][/IMG]