RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Odds and Ends. > Die-Cast Conversions Tech.

Die-Cast Conversions Tech. The tricks of installing drive line and electrical components into die-cast models.

Old 07-06-2011, 02:30 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

9W Monighan will become famous soon enough9W Monighan will become famous soon enough
Default CAT DW20 with #456 Scraper

Just got my new ACMOC 456 scraper in from First Gear today to go with the DW20 tractor. Somebody should build one of these 1/16th scale. JERRY are you looking?
It came in wrapped very securely.

After removal from box I discovered you need to remove part of the hitch and reattach
with the one already attached to the scraper.

Be careful not to break the two latches that hold the bowl up!

Old 07-06-2011, 02:42 PM
Green Horn

Car5858 will become famous soon enoughCar5858 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: CAT DW20 with #456 Scraper

Looks like a great project Steve.

Since it is 1/25th scaling up will not be much of a problem.
Old 07-07-2011, 01:16 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

Great looking model! These die-cast replicas keep getting better all of the time. The neat thing about the older equipment is that it didn't always have hydraulics, which almost makes it easier to model these in a larger, RC scale. Winches and cable systems are pretty simple and cheap.
Old 07-07-2011, 01:24 PM
Craftsman

modelman is on a distinguished road

Very nice model steve-do you mind sharing what your plans are for this?
Old 07-07-2011, 09:12 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

9W Monighan will become famous soon enough9W Monighan will become famous soon enough

I was just throwing it out there to hope to inspire someone to build one in 1/16 scale Tom. I doubt I can find time to start another scratch build at this time.
Old 07-29-2011, 09:25 PM

dirtpusher9 has a spectacular aura aboutdirtpusher9 has a spectacular aura about

Man, this is a good looking rig. Always have liked the DW20. That pan looks really familiar for some reason.
Old 12-31-2011, 10:26 AM

Ben1272 is on a distinguished road

looks like the cable needs to be moved fom where it is currently exiting the frame onto the take-up spool. It looks like on the side of the machine, just below where it is exiting presently, there is a little cast pulley that looks like it is where the cable should be exiting. It would also put the cable path in better alignment with the take-up spool.

Building one of these would be an interesting project and no hydraulics! I am surprised we dont see more cable equipped builds.

-Ben
Old 09-24-2013, 08:05 AM
Craftsman

Rvjimd is on a distinguished road
Default Scale?

Steve,

Is the scraper true scale of 1:25? In your pictures it looks pretty big. I always have a hard time with this because some diecast manufactures don't hold too tight to the scale and others do. Also, I just don't know most of the full scale equipment that well, so one dozer or crane or whatever may in full scale actually be huge compared to another of the same type, but designed for a different purpose.

Anyway, that scraper in 1:25 scale looks bigger than my 1:16 dozer? I guess I should go take some measurements of my dozer, and then find the actual dimensions of the 1:1 and see how it stacks up?

Jim
Old 09-24-2013, 10:28 AM
Apprentice

Finster is on a distinguished road

Nice looking model, very detailed.
Old 09-25-2013, 05:31 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Default Re: Scale?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvjimd View Post
Steve,

Is the scraper true scale of 1:25? In your pictures it looks pretty big. I always have a hard time with this because some diecast manufactures don't hold too tight to the scale and others do. Also, I just don't know most of the full scale equipment that well, so one dozer or crane or whatever may in full scale actually be huge compared to another of the same type, but designed for a different purpose.

Anyway, that scraper in 1:25 scale looks bigger than my 1:16 dozer? I guess I should go take some measurements of my dozer, and then find the actual dimensions of the 1:1 and see how it stacks up?

Jim
A DW20 was a big machine in it's day.
Yes, It's 1/25th scale I measured it and it is; 21-5/8 long push block to grill guard. 5-3/4'' widest part of scraper, 4-1/2'' tall at goose neck,
Wheel center line on tractor; 2-5/16'' big tires; 3-1/8'' h x 1-3/16'' w
Front tires;2''h x 5/8''w
You can get an idea just how big it is. The OC12 is about a Cat D4 in size comparison.
Once you master that Oliver You should try to convert some of these CAT models. The ACMOC club has tons of these sitting on their shelves so I doubt they will be worth any large amount of $$ in the future due to lack of sales. So cutting one up won't be such a bad idea. One of their D9 models would look pretty cool push loading the DW20 with the right mix of dirt to work in.
Old 09-25-2013, 10:53 PM
Craftsman

Rvjimd is on a distinguished road

Steve,

You won't have to twist my arm to much. I have always wanted to convert a Cat dozer and use it to push a scraper!

Got to figure out how to make my motor mounts so they have some adjustability to accommodate different sized gearing. I feel pretty good about the current refit. I think it is going to work good.

Thanks for all the info!

Jim
Old 08-21-2014, 10:51 AM

kevmeister is on a distinguished road

I'll have to get a picture of my dad's old rig.

John Deere had a corporate partnership with Hancock manufacturing (late 50's-early 60's), and they made an interesting contraption called an Elevating Scraper. Just picture the scraper in this thread having hydraulics for the bucket dump, bucket lift and a rotating paddle-blade assembly (to push loose granular material into the bucket and to keep it there). It was, essentially, an 840 John Deere tractor hooked up to the Hancock elevating scraper bucket (8 yards cap.). the thing was great for building roads, approaches, and for working on dikes and irrigation canals (they were working in the Lethbridge-Medicine Hat area of Alberta). he still has the rig and it still works (but needs a lot of work).

Last edited by kevmeister; 08-21-2014 at 10:53 AM. Reason: poor grammar
Old 07-22-2017, 11:05 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

skeeter is on a distinguished road

nice!
Old 02-22-2019, 10:01 PM

bobmorey is on a distinguished road

That will be an awesome project. Those 1/25 scale models are nice, but spendy. The tractor and scraper set up was almost $500 on evilbay. But there is no place else to find a model like this. That would be a cool RC conversion. Finding or making the tires would be the hard part.
Bob