RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Kings of the Road > Big Boys of the road 4x4/6x6/8x8/10x10 Trucks

Big Boys of the road 4x4/6x6/8x8/10x10 Trucks This forum is for those multiple axle trucks and other vehicles on and off road.

Old 09-18-2018, 07:05 PM
Green Horn

Zabco is on a distinguished road
Default Re: KH Beam Hauler

Depends on what you are trying to secure and to what are you trying to secure it to. FMCSA 49CFR393.
Old 09-18-2018, 08:40 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

skeeter is on a distinguished road

It all depends on that shackle, as well as the binder rating. Are they made in the U.S.A.? If so, they will be stamped clearly for their working load rating.
Old 09-19-2018, 05:01 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Bo Wallen is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: KH Beam Hauler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zabco View Post
Depends on what you are trying to secure and to what are you trying to secure it to. FMCSA 49CFR393.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter View Post
It all depends on that shackle, as well as the binder rating. Are they made in the U.S.A.? If so, they will be stamped clearly for their working load rating.
Oh Lord, I have to go for Exemptions........My goal was to be able to get the load easy and safe secured, and kind of look scale. also when traveling to different shows, don't have to spend too much time assembly all the stuff.
However, I got pulled over a few times in the UK. so I take it seriously.
Thanks for the input Zabco, Skeeter.
Old 09-19-2018, 07:01 PM
Green Horn

Components used for securing loads do NOT have to be marked with their working load limits as do components used for hoisting/lifting loads (completely different set of regulations). However if not marked, there are tables in the FMCSA load securement rules that give maximum allowable loading based on size and type of material. Rules also give guidance based on type and size of load and type of vehicle it is being carried on what is required in type, number and positioning of tie-downs. If you are a bit familiar with what is required in the real world and know what real world size of components are then it isn't too hard to come up with scaled components that look correct. In truth, if your sample tie down link is for what I think you are trying to do it will probably scale up to much larger than needed in real world.
Old 09-19-2018, 08:15 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

frizzen is on a distinguished road

Heh, i hope Skeeter and Zabco don't build police interceptors so they can go looking for violations at shows. Then after that someone'll make an OSHA figure or Mine Safety guy...

Do the truck enforcement guys over there in the UK use station wagons to haul the extra truck checking equipment, or were they running normal cop cars to harass you?

(Bring donuts, the guy with a cop car will want to eat them and will drive less to avoid getting donut glaze on the remote)

As someone not involved in trucking or hauling, I might try to put a side handle on the turnbuckle so it looks more like a ratcheting load binder.
Old 09-19-2018, 08:31 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Exclamation Re: KH Beam Hauler

Well, the first batch is done. Now over to test and classification. [IMG]IMG_3267 by Bo Wallen, on Flickr[/IMG]

Let's hope it works.
Old 09-19-2018, 08:43 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Components used for securing loads do NOT have to be marked with their working load limits as do components used for hoisting/lifting loads (completely different set of regulations). However if not marked, there are tables in the FMCSA load securement rules that give maximum allowable loading based on size and type of material. Rules also give guidance based on type and size of load and type of vehicle it is being carried on what is required in type, number and positioning of tie-downs. If you are a bit familiar with what is required in the real world and know what real world size of components are then it isn't too hard to come up with scaled components that look correct. In truth, if your sample tie down link is for what I think you are trying to do it will probably scale up to much larger than needed in real world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by frizzen View Post
Heh, i hope Skeeter and Zabco don't build police interceptors so they can go looking for violations at shows. Then after that someone'll make an OSHA figure or Mine Safety guy...

Do the truck enforcement guys over there in the UK use station wagons to haul the extra truck checking equipment, or were they running normal cop cars to harass you?

(Bring donuts, the guy with a cop car will want to eat them and will drive less to avoid getting donut glaze on the remote)

As someone not involved in trucking or hauling, I might try to put aside handle on the turnbuckle so it looks more like a ratcheting load binder.
Yes, I did heavy haul in Europe for thirty years, so I know what's needed over there. I also over secured all my loads for a piece of mind. Never had a law enforcement person complain. However, it's hard to find the scale stuff that looks and works well. And yes a handle is coming for the turnbuckle, just need to make some decent ones. Thank You Guys for the input, It.s fun to have guys that take their time to interact.
Old 09-19-2018, 09:28 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Lightbulb Re: KH Beam Hauler

A measurement insight.

[IMG]IMG_3268 by Bo Wallen, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_3269 by Bo Wallen, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old 09-20-2018, 12:40 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Variations in securing loads.

[IMG]IMG_3271 by Bo Wallen, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old 09-20-2018, 07:20 PM
Green Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Wallen View Post
However, it's hard to find the scale stuff that looks and works well.
Thats the big problem. Even as big as 1/14 scale seems, truly scaled down items are tiny and hard to handle. I use chain for tiedowns that has links 1mm in diameter. That scales to over 1/2 inch diameter in the real world. Unless you are trying to tie down something really massive most guys are going to use 3/8" chain. Simply too small to use at scale size if you could even find it.

Looks like your turnbuckles are using 3mm screws? Close to 1 3/4 inch in real world, pretty **** stout.
Old 09-20-2018, 07:34 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

frizzen is on a distinguished road

Zabco, i think you figured out why so many of the action figures are built like power lifters instead of normal people.

You'd be built too if everything was secured with 1 3/4" solid rods with bigger hardware, and log chains. Even my little 'ratchet straps' are 4" wide.
"Bro, do you even lift?"
Old 09-20-2018, 08:55 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Thats the big problem. Even as big as 1/14 scale seems, truly scaled down items are tiny and hard to handle. I use chain for tiedowns that has links 1mm in diameter. That scales to over 1/2 inch diameter in the real world. Unless you are trying to tie down something really massive most guys are going to use 3/8" chain. Simply too small to use at scale size if you could even find it.

Looks like your turnbuckles are using 3mm screws? Close to 1 3/4 inch in real world, pretty **** stout.
Quote:
Originally Posted by frizzen View Post
Zabco, i think you figured out why so many of the action figures are built like power lifters instead of normal people.

You'd be built too if everything was secured with 1 3/4" solid rods with bigger hardware, and log chains. Even my little 'ratchet straps' are 4" wide.
"Bro, do you even lift?"

Yes, I'm kind of tired of finding right scale parts, and who knows how many different scales there is in Tamiya Trucks if you start measuring parts. So if it looks cool and does what I need I'm OK with that. And if you go to a show, More than half of the audience would not see the fake scale anyway. Only hardcore professionals would suffer. And I'. OK with that too.
Old 09-20-2018, 08:58 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

I forgot to say there is a crane at each end, so they have to deal with oversized
stuff. My back hurts anyway.
Old 09-21-2018, 11:03 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

egronvold is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Wallen View Post
Well, the first batch is done. Now over to test and classification. [IMG]IMG_3267 by Bo Wallen, on Flickr[/IMG]

Let's hope it works.
They look very nice!

Construction site on Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pictures on Instagram:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-22-2018, 12:25 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Thank You Much. Emil. Only need to make 40 more, and a few other special models for a special load.
This is part play an important role.

[IMG]IMG_2254 by Bo Wallen, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old 09-23-2018, 09:49 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

ACHTUNG!

Therapeutic Sunday

[IMG]IMG_3286 by Bo Wallen, on Flickr[/IMG]

Getting closer. I think I got this.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:13 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Cooper is on a distinguished road

fabulous bo!!! I haven't been on site in a while , have to back read some good stuff!!
Old 09-24-2018, 11:46 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Thank You, Cooper. Yes and I admire your work. Well, I'm getting closer just 7 more to go of this.

[IMG]IMG_3294 by Bo Wallen, on Flickr[/IMG]

I might be able to get a roller soon.
Old 09-25-2018, 09:24 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Axle Done WooHoo!

[IMG]IMG_3300 by Bo Wallen, on Flickr[/IMG]

Now over to framework, steering, and other goodies.
Old 10-04-2018, 08:46 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

A while back I fixed the upper part of the north wall. And now time for the lower part. 17'4" new workbench and some nice paint, and LED Lights.

[IMG]IMG_3309 by Bo Wallen, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_3316 by Bo Wallen, on Flickr[/IMG]

Bonus in this project is added workbench on the east wall too.6 feet.