RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment

Construction Equipment If it digs, pushes, hauls dirt "off road" post it here.

Old 12-26-2022, 11:24 AM
Journeyman

jerry56 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Wooldridge 1940s Bottom-Dump Truck

It's coming along nicely.... is it moving under it's own power yet.... looks like it's innards are hanging out...
Old 12-26-2022, 08:42 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

frizzen is on a distinguished road

Yes, it's been getting some programming & shake-down runs with electrical stuff just lashed to the outside. Overall it runs pretty well. Still trying to teach an 'Airplane' TX to speak whatever language this does.

If i have ch 1&2 slaved 100% together as Drive, how do i slave 2&1 together as Steering with a lower differential rate?
Hitch to Wheel distance is a LOT shorter than the Track length on a Bulldozer, and tires are taller than drive sprockets, so turning happens RIGHT NOW!

I probably could have dropped another gear-ratio lower, or gotten better Escs. My hitch needs work. The tires are ancient. I need to build a big battery pack. I'm unsure what i'm doing... But it works.
Old 12-27-2022, 12:11 PM
Journeyman

Hmmmmm.
with 1 and 2 slaved +100 and -100 any change will affect forward and reverse ( I assume)
You could try changing 2 to -50 just to see what happens or maybe adj the power curve to come in slower...Are you using a flysky radio...?? I wonder what the "elevon" setting would do for ch1 and 2...or the dual rate for ch 1 and 2... I'm not well versed on the finer points of theses transmitters. I've only done the delta loader and D5 conversions both are tracked the delta turns pretty fast but that's how they are in real life... the D5 probably does too but there is enough track slip in the dirt that you don't notice it....
I think the "elevon" settings might help because I think they are to help to control turns.
You need an airplane guy to step in here ....
Old 01-02-2023, 07:17 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Yes, i'm running this machine on a Flysky FS-I6 that has had the 'throttle' stick swapped to another 'centering' stick. Mostly all i've accomplished so far is to bang my head against this radio, or annoy others with the beeping.

Good call, Elevon mixing would atleast make setup a whole lot easier.
https://youtu.be/nGmpcT9KdSs

I think doing this is probably about what i had in mind, although it uses all 3 mixes.
https://youtu.be/UQGMdmUp09Y

Following the lower video, this setup looks something like.
Door servo Ch 6
Motor Escs on Ch 2 & 5.
Ch 5 switch assign None

Mix 1
Master. 2
Sl......... 5
Pos. 100
Neg. 100
Offset. 0

Mix 2
Master. 2
Sl....... . 1
Pos. 50
Neg. 50
Offset 0

Mix 3
Master. 1
Sl......... 5
Pos. -50
Neg. -50
Offset. 0

Mix 2&3 run a ratio lower than ch 1, so Full stick is 50% throw

But i need to adjust 1 esc opposite or rewire motor. Doing channel Reverse would have a Hi and Low esc power split
- -
Uh, allegedly i might be 'an Airplane guy', but definately not *that* type.

Last edited by frizzen; 01-04-2023 at 10:06 PM.
Old 01-03-2023, 11:23 AM
Journeyman

What if you changed the rate of channel 1 and 2 to slow them down or dial in some exp......just brain storming
Old 02-05-2023, 04:54 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

I'm fairly happy with how my machine runs. Speed seems about right for what it is.

My 1/16 scale 1940s machine is a bit out-classed by higher yardage, modern, and larger scale trucks. Yes, that's why you try to match the Hauler to Loaders and the planned routes. A couple of the excavators could fill it in 6 scoops. There was a wheel loader that could fill it to struck in 2 scoops. It's not a Grand Hauler with an end-dump, or a Mack M-series. Different roles.

I learned that the Dump worked great in crumb rubber. Servo had enough power to keep the doors closed.
100% open drops the bed within a few seconds. Box cleans itself well.
50% open drops it a little slower, and leaves a bit in the corners.
Accidently driving off with 50% dump spreads a really nice furrow.

Steering is still really touchy. But i was able to hand off the TX to a friend, and they got used to the driving style pretty quick too.

I do need to upgrade Escs. There seems to be some brown out, and they don't seem happy with the back emf of motors going locked rotor.

Last edited by frizzen; 02-06-2023 at 05:29 AM.
Old 02-06-2023, 12:49 PM
Journeyman

I was looking for the crane.... never thought you would have the belly dump done...
Well your right it's not a tamiya... but it runs and drives and hauls and dumps dirt.... and you built it...
And it didn't cost 3K either
I like it... and it was the only one of it's kind there.....
Old 02-06-2023, 07:10 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

The belly dump isn't done, it just went out for an extended a shakedown run.

I'm not mad in the least about it's performance or capability!
As i said in the beginning I'm aiming toward Scale, History, and Cool more than Productivity. Plus my Dragline monkey needed a bigger target. (Maybe instead of direct loading the monkey uses Dragline to pull material toward the Elevator up to Trucks? No, i want an excuse to make stuff.)

Look at the Second pic of post #26 Stack up a restored Wooldridge against a modern Semi, totally different roles. Quick laps on rough Haul-roads vs Slow fill Highway dumps. Even the Mack M45 haul truck i was running with is made for longer smoother trips than my wagon. That Volvo ADT in there is the closest role, but as like the Great-grandson of this machine, they had a couple years to improve and refine stuff.

The crane actually stayed home this time. Ran out of room in the car since I took some stuff to sell, but in the end nobody was interested enough in those pieces.
Old 02-07-2023, 09:56 AM
Journeyman

For now anyway I'm trying to make a complete "construction company" with Tonkas I'll probably have to use my Huina excavator for a while until I get a crane or backhoe front shovel done....and my Bruder Delta and D5 conversions for now....at the rate I build it could take a while....
Scale, history and cool... I like that...
Old 02-07-2023, 06:03 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Nice, I'd love to see what you come up with for a nearly completely Tonka construction company!
I usually haven't been too picky about brand loyalty.

Cool and History are pretty big for me. You don't go watch stuff at Antique Equipment shows and get upset that the guy who restored a thing from scrap metal and runs it twice a year just doesn't move dirt like the guy who lives 50 hours a week in a piece of larger 5 year old equipment.
Old 02-08-2023, 12:50 PM
Journeyman

Well I should be more specific... older metal construction toys ... Tonka, Nylint, Doepke.....
Old 02-08-2023, 02:02 PM
Green Horn

ddmckee54 is on a distinguished road

Deleted

Last edited by ddmckee54; 02-08-2023 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Message got duplicated - a bunch
Old 02-08-2023, 02:11 PM
Green Horn

A month or so ago, you guys got me digging through OLD memories...

I was pretty sure that I had a truck with a post hole digger on it. So I did a little surfing on the InterWebb and found one that matched my memories, the Nylint 3300 Power & Light Pole truck. A little digging on Ebay and HOLY CRAP! HOW much do they want for one of those?

The grey cells started firing on all cylinders, and I thought I remembered seeing that truck in the bottom of the trunk that my mother sent to me YEARS ago. When it's -10 degree F outside it's not MUCH warmer in the attic of a house built in 1890 - but away I went. Sure enough, there in the bottom of the trunk were the truck, the trailer, and all 4 of the original poles. The only original parts that I'm missing are the 2 plastic shovels, the tamper and the spud.

Now the truck is sitting in my living room and I'm wondering what to do with it. It's in WAY too good of shape for me to even think about converting it to RC. But I'm also not a collector, so do I sell it? If so how?

Last edited by ddmckee54; 02-08-2023 at 02:20 PM. Reason: Message got clipped and duplicated
Old 02-08-2023, 03:31 PM
Journeyman

Yeah that's a rare one and as you've seen pricey ....
I look for the used and abused toys, to rough for the serious collector but fine for what I do....as long as the sheet metal is straight....
You could try selling it here https://www.facebook.com/groups/239101843186907/
or Ebay... as with anything on the internet... seller beware...
I've bought a few trucks from there if you go that route and find a buyer send me a message here and I can see if I recognize the name as a regular
Old 02-09-2023, 12:47 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Heh, sorry for shaking out some old memories ddmckee.
http://www.tnttoytrucks.com/NYCOE1.html
That sounds like a fun truck, and yeah those collectors get *REALLY* into some of the toys. If you aren't in a hurry to sell, maybe try somewhere like Etsy so you aren't locked into the the auction format? Also it'll probably be worth the money to get some replica tools to make it all 'complete' even though those are not 100% original.
----
Wooldridge / Curtiss Wright is hard to learn much about, this has some info
https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com...urvivors.9935/

Plus section for some Old Iron
https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com...s/old-iron.34/

Last edited by frizzen; 03-29-2023 at 12:33 PM.
Old 02-10-2023, 11:03 AM
Green Horn

I had to replace the pivot screws for the auger, I had lost 2 of the originals. Most of the units you see listed have this same problem. I did keep the original self-tapping screws and if I can ever find matching screws I'll put a matching set back in.

I MAY very well still have the tools, it was -10F outside, and an un-insulated attic is not THAT much warmer, so I didn't dig around too much in the trunk. I'll check it out when the weather gets warmer. It's supposed to be in the 30's/40's this weekend, if I remember to do it I'll go have a look.

I'll look into Etsy, I've had the truck for over 60 years so a little longer isn't going to hurt anything.