RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment

Construction Equipment If it digs, pushes, hauls dirt "off road" post it here.

Old 07-11-2011, 04:13 PM
Apprentice

D8R is on a distinguished road
Default Re: D8R +463 in 1/5,6

No, he may look swedish but I found him in Hong Kong. There will be plenty of work before he has to think about sitting, and air conditioning? He has doors to open! (don´t tell him about this but ofcourse there will be air cond).
Old 08-06-2011, 04:12 PM

Ampen is on a distinguished road

Amazing build. i love your workshop that is exactly what i want my workshop to look like some day.

Did you make the hydralpistons and valves yourself?
/Andreas
Old 08-10-2011, 11:40 AM
Apprentice

Bad weather on holiday, what to do?

Started with interior last week, here´s first part of inner roof with place for radio. A lot of interior will be built in styrene, I use 2 or 3mm sheet´s.

Something new and never made by me was the way the seat was done. Started with 4 layers of 3mm balsa wood, glued cross wise for strenght. Last layer was cut a little to shape of seat.
Took some pics during this build so here´s my way, step by step, making a seat.

Next step was to cut down the balsa (with a dremel) to right shape, including the the contour of seat.

To get a softer face of seat 2 layers of foam was applied with 3M spray glue (used "final mount" no 2nd chance here). Used a steel wire inserted into seat as holder when glue was applied.

Found some nice seatcover that is a little elastic to, has a surface with a rib pattern. Have never made any recarpeting on chairs before, guess that needs some practice too! the front layer of textile was applied with glue on chair.

Completed seat, the rear cover (cut to size first) had glue applied to textile. Front corner was not easy, the result was not satisfying but has to be that way for now.

Rear and under side with base (1mm steel) sliding into back rest (can be positioned) of seat.

Don´t know why but it looks like Jim doesn´t like the seat, still looks angry, maybe he doesn´t have any smiling face maybee he is missing that can of cola?

Dan
Old 08-10-2011, 12:00 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

9W Monighan will become famous soon enough9W Monighan will become famous soon enough

Very nice directions on seat building Dan. That turned out nice.
Jim may be mad because he wants a air ride seat. OR, he wants a beer rather than a soda.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:33 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

doodlebug is on a distinguished road

LOL! the cup holder may have to be aftermarket! Seat look's great! Thank's for sharing the update's.
Cheer's, Neil#2 aka doodlebug.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:38 AM
Green Horn

Smokin Joe is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by D8R View Post
Thanks for comments,
they are made of normal steel, don´t know quality but not stainless. A couple of mig tacks and then soldered in owen.
Sorry Dozer, couldn´t find the attachment.
320lbs, that´s now, when finished I think more of 430-450lbs complete with ripper and blade. It´s not only for good with this weight, it´s becoming harder to move the machine (remember, I can´t drive out from work shop).
The engine is a Honda 2,5hp 4-cycle industrial engine with built in reduction of 1:2. This gives a outputt shaft speed of 1500rpm at max torque. With hydraulic pumps it´s perfect with the 1500. Here shown without muffler, will build one as big as possible when all other stuffs is inside the model. A bigger muffler will give a more prototypical sound (I hope).

Was at a hobby show today at Volvo museeum and they had a very large L220 model. I thing my 463 is big but it could almost fit inside the bucket, is there a limit to call it a model?? Remember seeing the model before, here´s a link to the builder, impressing!
http://www.wessels-modellbau.de/Gall...allerie_4.html
Dan
Dan, I think if the build is less than 1:1 and hand built, it is art first and a model second. They consider Picasso a artist. Go figure.
Old 08-21-2011, 05:55 PM

dozernerd is on a distinguished road

hey dan,glad to see your still building,youll have fun when you can start rattling around your shop with it!im gettin ready to start buying parts for the 9g,tryin to sell the 11 to fund the project.no takers yet,maybe thats a good thing..... ed
Old 08-21-2011, 10:01 PM

kyleandtavion is on a distinguished road

That is just incredible. If I had the skillset I would starting building one tommorrow
Old 08-22-2011, 03:01 PM
Apprentice

Hi Ed, glad you found this site. Realy looking forward to your next build, do look at your D11 videos and dreams about the day I can run mine.
Will the 9 be diesel-electric?

Thanks Kyle, I did not have much of experience (like welding, milling) when I started building this machine. Try build some small part and see if you like it.

very little done now, did have a little injury in my right shoulder, should stay still doctor says, hard to hear when there is so much on "to do list"
Dan
Old 08-23-2011, 12:57 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Hey Dan, Get feeling better soon! Great progress so far!
Later, Neil#2 aka doodlebug.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:33 PM
Green Horn

Smokin Joe is on a distinguished road

Jim, I, as I am sure many on this forum have had no formal training.

You are a master of your craft. The D8R is incredible. Thank you for all the time you put into showing us your build. I read your build and look at the pictures many times because each time I read or see something I missed.

Thank you, Joe
Old 09-14-2011, 05:35 PM
Wannabe

Azonic will become famous soon enough

WOW! Such a masterpiece! And youre even from my own country, i would love to come by you if i have the way thru stockholm sometime to watch this epic build in person, its impressive!

Lokking forward to updates!

Hälsningar Kalle!
Old 11-24-2011, 04:19 PM
Apprentice

Finally got inspiration back to continue modelling. It has been almost 4 months of nothing done.
You may remember from earlier comments that I was planning to use a gas cylinder as tension spring for the tracks. Well it turned out very expensive, and not so prototypical. Did some drawings last weekend and build 2 set of springloaded tensioners.
It´s quite simple in design and to stiff up the track I use a small wrench (?) thrue the hole where you normaly (in 1:1) use the grease gun to tighten tracks.

video showing how it works can be seen here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQ2UajMkvWE

Dan
Old 11-24-2011, 04:36 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

Excellent updates! Ypu've made leaps and bounds, since I last checked your thread. Your shop is incredible, for a basement shop. Carpeted floor and all! How do you keep it so clean, especially when you are milling? Don't the chips tend to fly everywhere? I saw a blue tarp in one of the photos. Do you collect chips or contain them with that?

The big old Cat is huge! It fills that entire lift table up, and until your photo with your hand in it, I really couldn't grasp the true size of this machine. I knew it was big, but wow, what a beast! Are you going to drive it out of the basement, under it's own power? Obviously you got it out once, for display, along side the Cat wheel loader. Kind of curious if you have a walk out basement, an elevator, or a winch with a rolling table of some kind!
Old 11-24-2011, 09:53 PM
Green Horn

crawler07 is on a distinguished road

your work is amazing to say the least, Also to stay focused after 9+ years is astonishing their is very few people who could stay with a project for so long..Congrats on an outstanding job Sir,,
Old 11-25-2011, 12:15 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espeefan View Post
Excellent updates! Ypu've made leaps and bounds, since I last checked your thread. Your shop is incredible, for a basement shop. Carpeted floor and all! How do you keep it so clean, especially when you are milling? Don't the chips tend to fly everywhere? I saw a blue tarp in one of the photos. Do you collect chips or contain them with that?

Have a industrial vaccum cleaner that can handle everything. No that blue tarp has only been used to cover the small lathe from dust, this is not so often used since I got the big one.

The big old Cat is huge! It fills that entire lift table up, and until your photo with your hand in it, I really couldn't grasp the true size of this machine. I knew it was big, but wow, what a beast! Are you going to drive it out of the basement, under it's own power? Obviously you got it out once, for display, along side the Cat wheel loader. Kind of curious if you have a walk out basement, an elevator, or a winch with a rolling table of some kind!
No It can not be drive out by itself, it would wreck the wooden floor in enterance hall. I use this lifttable to roll the machine outside. Have a 2 step to come outside but it´s ok with ramps. The blade has to be removed, door opening is not wide enough.

Thanks Tim, I can't wait either but there´s still parts missing

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawler07 View Post
your work is amazing to say the least, Also to stay focused after 9+ years is astonishing their is very few people who could stay with a project for so long..Congrats on an outstanding job Sir,,
Have hade some dips before , but forums like this one and comments from you all, makes me try harder! And I have to stay on one project, it´s to easy starting another one, have some new in mind but they have to wait. Thanks for the support
Dan
Old 11-25-2011, 08:26 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Gee Whiz Dan, so your dozed is just like the1:1 version!
Remove the blade for transport.
Cheer's, Neil.
Old 12-31-2011, 10:10 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

9W Monighan will become famous soon enough9W Monighan will become famous soon enough

Any progress for the new year Dan? Are you still considering Bowling Green, Ohio this summer?
Old 01-02-2012, 11:51 AM
Apprentice

Thanks for asking Steve, but it does not look so good.
Have not done much at the model lately, had no inspiration. Was at the german show, bought some Knupfer rubber gasket for windows (H shaped), discovered home that they can´t be mounted in cab I have today (this is the 2nd done), thickness of walls (and windows, yes have to make new ones) has to be 1,5mm instead of 1mm .
I will most likely add 0,5mm styrene sheet inside cab and have new doors cut out in right tickness.

Next issue is lacking enough information on how inside cab looks. I have lots of photos and messurements taken but it was not enough. As said before, it´s importent to stick to ONE model, I started doing a D8N, changed later to D8R and have had my friend´s D8R serie II for most reference.

You can´t get to much info, I always use a paper or styrene mock up to check it out

I have a spare part book for D8N but when it comes to details it doesn´t work. I would never do another contemperary model without accurate book, it makes it so easier. Now has my friend also changed to D8T, and that´s a complete different model when it comes to cab. The old one was sold 800miles north so that´s not available for reference anymore.

That´s the bad part, the good thing is that in the last days inspiration is coming back, trying to get inside of cab done within a week or two, so I can focus on finishing the drive line with drive spockets and gear reduction in hubs.

But, I don´t think model will be running at time of show (had to be shipped min 4-6 weeks before). I will still try to attend to show but only to watch all your models.

Photo´s will come on cab progress later!

Dan
Old 01-06-2012, 07:58 PM

dirtpusher9 has a spectacular aura aboutdirtpusher9 has a spectacular aura about

Hey Dan, can you tell me how the removable hitch works and maybe some pics? How did you mount it?

Tags
1/5.6, big scale, cat, d8r, dozer