RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment > Construction Equipment Tech

Construction Equipment Tech Hydraulics, Electronics, General Engineering, ect in constr equip

Old 01-25-2017, 06:29 AM

RcBruder is on a distinguished road
Smile Air Pressure excavator

I was looking at this website
https://www.automationdirect.com/adc...tic_Components
I am wondering if you got a heavy duty system would it work like hydraulics? The only difference would be that the air can compress unlike the the hydraulic fluid. I am not sure if it would work but it seems like it should/would. It would need tons of compression but i don't see why it would not work. Please share if you know of someone who has tried or have tried yourself. I just noticed its a cheaper price than the hydraulic systems. I know maybe not as much power but for a bruder conversion it would be perfect as the hydraulics could stress the boom with the high amount of power. Mabe a small co2 tank would work for tank if i could find a big enough air pump.

Last edited by RcBruder; 01-25-2017 at 06:37 AM. Reason: missed a few points
Old 01-25-2017, 08:47 AM

Jakyat is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Air Pressure excavator

I think you're kinda on to something, however, i wonder about dual action capability and smoothness of control. With hydraulics, you can control the pressure throughout the entire stroke of your cylinder.
Just my thoughts! I'll be watching for others ideas on this topic!
Old 01-25-2017, 09:51 AM

Smile Re: Air Pressure excavator

https://www.automationdirect.com/adc...Acting#start=0
Those are double acting cylinders so i figured that it would work the same. It would be more complicated then the hydraulics but i think cheaper. I was thinking two valves per cylinder; one for inlet and one for the outlet. So it would be a circuit. One would push the ram forward and the other one would let the pressure out of the top, kinda like the hydraulic system. Still don't have enough pressure for the whole system. I don't think that multitasking would be an option lol. Hydraulic systems run at around 180-200 psi if i read correctly. The only miniature air pump i have found pumps at about 25psi. That's enough to maybe move the bucket for a second lol. Still researching but i need to finish my bruder dump truck conversion before i start anymore projects. I already have the dump truck and my bruder d5. That will last a month at least lol.
-Rc
Old 01-25-2017, 10:50 AM
Green Horn

bigdogrod is on a distinguished road

check out airplane retracts and stuff, some of those are air powered.

i built a dump truck with a robart air cylinder a while ago, worked ok, but never tried to lift anything heavy. and i made the air tanks out of pvc and put them in the stock king hauler fuel tanks. used a hand pump to pressurize. worked most of the time until the glue failed on one of the air tank end caps at like 50 psi....

i'll stick with firgelli actuators from now on..lol

https://www.firgelliauto.com/
Old 01-25-2017, 10:59 AM
Wannabe

Efroeh is on a distinguished road

For electric actuators I use the actuonix actuators there were called firgelli Before but seem to hold up well and plus right into a reciever which is awsome.
http://www.actuonix.com/
Old 01-25-2017, 11:16 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

RCP57 is on a distinguished road

Air is very "springy". If your bucket digs into something firm and then breaks loose it is going to catapult dirt everywhere. I'd would only use it as a last resort.
Old 01-25-2017, 11:43 AM

Smile Re: Air Pressure excavator

So never mind on the air stuff. Lol i am using a firgelli actuator in my mack truck build right now but they are expensive. It would be about $300 for 4 of them for an excavator. and then i might as well go a little higher and get hydraulics lol. Thank you all for your help. Im not sure why im calling it help cause u shut my idea down lol just kidding thanks everyone!
-Rc
Old 01-26-2017, 04:29 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

doodlebug is on a distinguished road

Play with Lego Technics, they had an excavator kit.
Cheers!

Tags
air, bruder, bruder excavator, excavator, hydraulics