RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Tech section. > Electronics tech

Electronics tech Anything to do with the electronics in a model. Lights, Radio, ESC, Servo, Basic electrical.

Old 04-17-2020, 03:23 AM

Southgate ll is on a distinguished road
Default Is there a linear DC ESC out there?

My crane project, (in construction equipment) has one function that will not work with a standard reversible ESC. The slewing mechanism (rotation of upper unit) is driven by 2 small gearheads with coreless motors. They have no clue what to do with s standard ESC output. They need "filtered" linear DC.

I made an effective but bulky device from a model railroad MRC transistorized power pack, that uses a servo to turn the potentiometer from the MRC, to arrive at a linear DC control for those motors (powered off the upper unit battery pack) but I would rather just have a clean simple ESC if there is one that can do the job. Anyone know of anything? Dan
Old 04-19-2020, 09:04 PM
Green Horn

Wombii is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Is there a linear DC ESC out there?

Very nice work on the crane. I don't know any linear ESCs, but I would test using an ESC with a different PWM output frequency. A higher frequency might better emulate a linear voltage.

Have you considered testing the small ESC board inside a standard RC servo? They're designed for small DC motors with a high gear ratio and having equal performance in both directions. I would guess there's a higher chance of finding a high pwm frequency output on a board from a mini or micro servo. Open the servo, carefully pull out the insides and center the feedback potentiometer.