RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Kings of the Road > Big Boys of the road 4x4/6x6/8x8/10x10 Trucks

Big Boys of the road 4x4/6x6/8x8/10x10 Trucks This forum is for those multiple axle trucks and other vehicles on and off road.

Old 02-15-2017, 04:33 PM
White Line Fever

roadranger is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Peterbilt 6x6 Medium Hauler

Again, sorry for the lighting, but here you can see just how far they stick out. It's not particularly awful given most heavy hauler or all wheel drive trucks' front ends are often fairly wide, but I'd hoped for better.

>I've used the inner rim of a Dual on powered steer axles to get the tire tread back under the fender. But, it's a standard width tire, like on your Lesu rims.
>You could try taking apart one of your Lesu Duals to see what the inner rim would look like on the steer axle.

And can someone tell me what I did wrong with the install of my 5th wheel? Why is it angling the wrong direction?
[/QUOTE]

>All of my stuff run the older Tamiya plastic 5th wheel, and I just epoxy a ball point pen spring to the baseplate up underneath the front of 5th wheel to keep it tilted down.

Jim B.
Colorado Springs
Old 02-16-2017, 09:02 AM
Green Horn

Tommy R is on a distinguished road

I did try a rear on the front and it looked okay (with a 1.5" crawler tire stretched over it), but like you said, it's a narrow wheel and I definitely want a wide front on this truck.

Good idea on the spring for the 5th wheel. I'm still very surprised that this is (apparently) how Tamiya designed the 5th wheel to sit....
Old 02-16-2017, 09:45 AM
Green Horn

Taking a clue from roadranger's comments, I decided to try a slightly different version of using a spring to keep the 5th wheel at a better angle. I cut a paper clip and just glued it in place.

Then I reassembled the 5th wheel.

Now it sits better. The angle should be more aggressive and the super glue will likely not hold long term, but it's a good proof of concept that I can tweak.
Old 02-21-2017, 07:18 PM
Green Horn

Front end progress... I remade both sides to include the lower section at the bottom of the fenders. They're mirror images of one another so the left/right sides match.

I trimmed some of the hood sides inside the fenderwell. I didn't want to cut it out entirely and lose strength, but didn't like the look of leaving it intact.

And bonded to the truck's body.

I know a Pete 359 would have the front axle all the way forward, but that wasn't going to work well with my driven front axle so I had to take come creative liberties. I also tweaked the fender location for a bit more up travel.

At full droop:

And at full bump. I'm very pleased.

I still have some finishing work to do, but overall I'm really happy with how it's coming out! Soon it'll be time to fully prime/prep the body for paint. I guess I'd better decide on my colors and paint scheme soon!
Old 02-22-2017, 11:07 AM
Green Horn

It's been bugging me how far out these Lesu wheels sit. Here you can see part of the problem. The recess in the wheel for the hex is a solid 6mm deep. So best case, you're running a pretty wide 6mm hex just to keep the wheels off the axle. Pictured is a 5mm hex with a 1.5mm washer acting as a spacer. In this configuration, just more than half of the tire stuck outside the fenders!

So I decided to take matters into my own hands. I wanted to shoot for the ability to run a narrow 4mm hex to bring the track width inward 2mm per side. I stacked 4mm of washers into the wheel and took out the Dremel and my metal cut off wheel.

Using a steady hand I kept the blade flush to the washers as best I could and proceeded to cut down the recess in the wheel.

After the initial cut, things were functional, but kinda ugly.

I took a flapper wheel to it and it looked much better afterward.

It's hard to capture on "film", but now more than half of the tires are covered by the fenders with a 5mm hex. I have some 4mm hexes on order so we'll see if I can narrow it down just a bit more.

Old 02-22-2017, 03:06 PM
White Line Fever

roadranger is on a distinguished road

Narrowed down, do the tires rub on the springs at full turn?

Jim B.
Colorado Springs
Old 02-22-2017, 09:08 PM
Green Horn

SuperDutyScaler is on a distinguished road

I'm surprised no one has told you to buy a 6 tooth pinion from rc4wd? I have them on both my kings and a 55turn integy and have no problem pulling trailers off road. Also on the axle get a set of spider gears and add one between the ones in the difference, that will lock the axle for full traction. A lot of us on here do that also with zero issues
Old 02-23-2017, 01:42 PM
Green Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadranger View Post
Narrowed down, do the tires rub on the springs at full turn?
No, sir! Not even close, if I'm honest. The track width is narrower, but certainly not "narrow". It's still quite a bit wider than I'd prefer, but I think this is the best I'll be able to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDutyScaler View Post
I'm surprised no one has told you to buy a 6 tooth pinion from rc4wd? I have them on both my kings and a 55turn integy and have no problem pulling trailers off road. Also on the axle get a set of spider gears and add one between the ones in the difference, that will lock the axle for full traction. A lot of us on here do that also with zero issues
You mean as opposed to the stock 10t? I haven't looked into regearing because I think the 2.6:1 with my Axial transfer case will be low enough. I can always look into regearing later, if need be.

Got a bit more work done. I removed all unwanted tabs from the axles to clean them up and also gain a bit more uptravel (in the rear axles). I also noticed the rear shocks were limiting downtravel so they're gone. Fronts were removed some time back. In addition, I drilled through the front TLT axle and secured it with some long screws.

On the bottom side I sacrificed a stock Hi-Lift spring to provide a bit more strength. It feels VERY secure now! You can also see some of the rough clean-up work I did on the axle. And yes, I know the hardware doesn't match. I need more panhead hardware in the correct length.
Old 02-23-2017, 01:51 PM
Green Horn

Sadly, this is max steering lock. It's currently limited by the stock dog bones/drive cups. I may modify them for a bit more angle or I may look into some CVDs and aluminum knuckles.

Old 02-28-2017, 10:24 AM
Green Horn

In my quest for a narrower front track width, I picked up some Hercules Hobby wide wheels for the front. Aesthetically, I like them, but I think I prefer the Lesu wheels a bit more. Here's some pics.

One interesting thing to note is that with the Lesu wheels, all 10 screws need to be removed in order to access the wheel nut. On the HH wheels, you unscrew that black center section to reveal the wheel nut. Much easier, yes, but it doesn't look as clean to me. And no, the outer cover from the Lesu wheels won't fit the HH wheels.

The backsides.

Side by side. Same width, but the backspacing is different.

Here's where the rubber meets the road. Get it?? Road? Tires?? I kill me... Anyway, here's the offset with the modified Lesu wheels. A little less than half of the tire sits outside the fenders.

And here's the HH side. They tuck in quite a bit more and I really like it!

The slots in the wheels are more of a kidney bean and the Lesu rears are more of a circle, but it's hardly noticeable so I think I'll be sticking with the HH wheels for the front of this truck.
Old 02-28-2017, 04:30 PM
Green Horn

Smugmug is having issues right now so I can't link, but hopefully attaching the photo will work instead....

I couldn't use standard ol' socket head cap screws on these wheels in such a prominent location! Locked Up RC scale hardware to the rescue!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image1.jpg (157 Bytes, 184 views)
Old 02-28-2017, 05:35 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

frizzen is on a distinguished road

Looking good, and i really like the way you shaved the rim hexes

Since you sacrificed some springs to beef up the axle mount, why not build the 5th wheel spring from the scrap?
Old 02-28-2017, 06:06 PM
Green Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by frizzen View Post
Looking good, and i really like the way you shaved the rim hexes

Since you sacrificed some springs to beef up the axle mount, why not build the 5th wheel spring from the scrap?
Thanks! And good idea on the remaining pieces for the springs. I need to see if I can locate them, but I might be able to come up with something.
Old 02-28-2017, 08:11 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

TRUCKMAKER is on a distinguished road

Go to this thread and look at post #3, you will find these at your local hardware store. I bought the smallest they had for 35 cents. Take it apart and inside you'll find a spring almost identical to what Tamiya uses for the 5th wheel and trailer legs.

http://www.rctruckandconstruction.co...ad.php?t=11374
Old 02-28-2017, 08:24 PM
Green Horn

Thanks! I may have some sheetrock anchors in the garage and will look into it!

Also, I noticed my attached image earlier didn't work. My hosting site is back online so here's the image of the Hercules wheel with the scale hardware:
Old 03-01-2017, 10:20 AM

porky69 is on a distinguished road

From my experience with 6x6's the amount your tires stick out with the HH wheels is pretty close to what a real life 6x6 with 385/65R22.5 tires would have stick out. Add some fender flares and you have the right look.

Old 03-02-2017, 09:04 AM
Green Horn

Thanks! Yeah, I think the current stance is pretty close to what I was hoping for.

And in case anyone is interested in how to access the wheel nut with these Hercules Hobby wheels, this is how it's done. The center cover simply unscrews. What's odd is that it's completely smooth and has no way to grab it with a tool to screw/unscrew. With the heads of the hardware in close proximity, it makes it difficult to get a good grip on it with your fingers! I will likely plasti-dip the ends of a small pair of pliers so I can grab it reasonably well without marring it. Not a fan of this design, though. I may pop a hole through it so I can insert a small allen key into it to tighten/loosen it. I'm curious what others may have done?
Old 03-02-2017, 10:01 AM

huber1918 is on a distinguished road

Tommy,

I have a set of Lesu wheels very similar to these. They also have the removable center. Lesu drilled holes around the outside of the hub that allowed me to put a small allen wrench in it.

Old 03-02-2017, 03:51 PM
Green Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by huber1918 View Post
Tommy,

I have a set of Lesu wheels very similar to these. They also have the removable center. Lesu drilled holes around the outside of the hub that allowed me to put a small allen wrench in it.
Hey man!

That's a good idea. I'll have to look into it...
Old 03-02-2017, 06:13 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

frizzen is on a distinguished road

Would it work to put some mold release (dish soap) on the hubcap, and rtv a stick to it? Once cured use that silicone cup to remove/install.

Or if you have a die that size, run the cap through a couple times to loosen the fit?