RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Kings of the Road > Fire and Rescue and Emergency Vehicles

Fire and Rescue and Emergency Vehicles Here is a spot for all them important emergency vehicle builds.

Old 10-21-2020, 01:22 PM

Tgrzes is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Seagrave Tanker

Thanks! As others have said, it's amazing how many times you think you have something figured out, then you have to throw it away and do it again...and again.
Old 11-16-2020, 01:56 PM

I closed up the back of the cab using Plastruct 1:16 scale diamond plate, but it didn't look right, so I sanded it down and tried some O scale (1:48), which seems to look a lot closer to scale.

Homemade 4.25:1 GRU. The top speed is pretty good with the Tamiya trans locked in 2nd. I have another set of gears coming that will give me 2.5:1 and a smaller profile, so I'll see how that works with the trans in 1st.

Not exactly where I planned to mount the pump, but I couldn't get it to fit up in the pump panel area.
Old 01-06-2021, 01:38 PM

Started working on the plumbing and solenoid valves.

Also made fittings for the hard suction. Not sure yet what the final finish will be.
Old 01-15-2021, 01:28 AM
Green Horn

Wombii is on a distinguished road

This is looking very nice! Looking forward to seeing this in action! Are those solenoid valves air tight as well as water tight? What did you use to make those suction fittings?
Old 01-15-2021, 08:58 AM

Thanks! The solenoid valves are for both air and fluids. The only thing I don't like is the ID on the valve is only about 3mm whereas the pump and all the intake plumbing is 5mm. So far, I haven't been able to find any 5mm valves.

I recently bought a 9/16-24UNF tap and die, but all these fittings were made from pieces of scrap sink shutoff valves. For the female fittings and blind caps, I turned down the compression nut on a lathe. The piece for the tube is made from bar stock and I just soldered them together. Same for the male threads.

For the lugs on the fittings, I milled t-shaped pieces from .064 flat stock and soldered them in place.

I'm working on the front bumper swivel suction fitting and plumbing now. Should have pictures of that soon.
Old 01-15-2021, 09:16 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

frizzen is on a distinguished road

Those parts are looking great!

Unfortunately with making working models you've got to make some concessions about where components fit instead of where it's right for the real one
Old 01-26-2021, 04:33 PM

Thanks Frizzen!
I finished the plumbing for the front bumper suction. With some milling, filing and sandpaper, I was able to make the 90deg elbow from a stock 1/8 FIP brass elbow and attach it to a swivel elbow so it spins.

After some paint.

Old 02-22-2021, 08:22 AM

Here are some pics of the machined deck gun parts and assembly:

And a video testing it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1NO6mgTH_Y
Old 02-22-2021, 09:12 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

frizzen is on a distinguished road

Those machined parts look great, but i really love how that fire monitor came out.

Have you given much thought to waterproof electronics, making water shields to help control what gets wet, and drip loops on all wiring?
Old 02-22-2021, 11:04 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

egronvold is on a distinguished road

Very nice details!

Construction site on Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pictures on Instagram:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-22-2021, 01:55 PM

Thanks guys! Yeah, shielding under the deck gun will be a challenge, especially with the linkage between the servo and the nozzle in the way. I have some ideas, but I won't know for sure until I start to build that area out a little more. I had to move one of the solenoid valves to make the stacked servos fit, so now I need to move the battery, master switches and receiver around...again.
Old 02-22-2021, 02:14 PM
Green Horn

ddmckee54 is on a distinguished road

For the linkage from the servo to the nozzle of the monitor you might be able to use one of the bellows that the RC sub guys use to get their control linkages to the rudder and dive planes out of their water tight electronics containers. I think the bellows are available in several sizes.

Don
Old 02-22-2021, 02:44 PM

Thanks for the tip!! I was thinking of some thin rubber membrane with a hole/slit, but this sounds like a great idea! I'll definitely check it out.
Old 03-05-2021, 12:31 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

skeeter is on a distinguished road

Neat project! I'll be following this one to see the updates as they are posted!
Old 07-05-2021, 08:28 AM

Not much progress lately due to all the spring yard work, but I did manage to redesign the deck gun linkage and finish up some details.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Also sorting out the relays for the solenoid valves and other electronics.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 09-19-2021, 04:46 PM

It’s been pretty quiet lately, so I figured I’d post a couple quick pics.
I originally planned to mount all the relays and bus bars directly to the body, but that quickly became a pain every time I had to remove the body to figure out my next move. So I decided to take this mess:
[IMG][/IMG]

and mount everything to a couple of free-standing shelves attached to the frame. This allows me to remove the body without touching most of the electronics.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Getting started on the rear body panels
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-06-2022, 09:43 AM

This build is based upon a new tanker that my department is purchasing. We recently had to switch to a new manufacturer (Ferrara), so I had to make some changes to the body. From this
[IMG][/IMG]

to this
[IMG][/IMG]

Before working on the onboard water tank, I had to make the portable pool and its storage compartment.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

The compartment door will be held in place with some 1/8 dia magnets in the door and sides of the compartment.
[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Tgrzes; 01-07-2022 at 04:59 PM. Reason: bad picture
Old 01-26-2022, 04:35 PM

Default Re: Ferrara Tanker

I started working on the water tank. It’s made from 1/8” ABS sheet and will have a dump valve and motorized chute that extends out of a back compartment for filling the portable pool.
[IMG][/IMG]

Space around and under the tank is limited and I couldn’t find a ready-made valve that would discharge the tank quickly, so I’m making one out of delrin. It will sit inside the tank and be activated by a solenoid on top of the tank that lifts the plunger.
[IMG][/IMG]

The inside tank bottom is sloped to promote drainage.
[IMG][/IMG]

The tank just sits on the frame rails. I’ll probably strap it down with velcro so it’s easily removed.
[IMG][/IMG]

Here’s the screw drive for the chute mechanism mounted to the underside of the tank. I’m still waiting on resistors so I can remove the potentiometer from the servo. I also need to hook up another switch to activate the dump valve solenoid when the chute is fully extended.
[IMG][/IMG]

Here’s a video of the chute. I’ll see if I can make the chute open the compartment door to be added later.
https://nam11.safelinks.protection.o...amp;reserved=0

I’ve also been learning Arduino so I can program the flash patterns for wig-wag headlights, an arrow bar for the back of the truck and all the warning lights. If I get ambitious, I’ll try to figure out how to change the arrow bar remotely, but for now I’ll just leave it with the center pattern. Here’s a video.
https://nam11.safelinks.protection.o...amp;reserved=0
Old 05-31-2022, 04:43 PM

I pressed some brass electrodes thru the side of the tank and created a water level sensor using some transistors, resistors and LEDs.
[IMG][/IMG]

Also added a fill tower to the tank.
[IMG][/IMG]

Siren speaker mounted between the front frame rails.
[IMG][/IMG]

Printed the front bumper skin and added hose troughs, tow hooks, fake horn, and gated wye.
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-31-2022, 05:30 PM

Testing the deck gun and dump chute with the tank installed.
https://youtu.be/7jWDDmgtoq8