RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment

Construction Equipment If it digs, pushes, hauls dirt "off road" post it here.

Old 11-16-2018, 11:10 PM

igotit is on a distinguished road
Default Bruder D5 1 day build

ive been wanting a d5 build for awhile,but always forgot about it,or put it off.....ect.
we all seen em done before,nothing new right.
i chose the same tamiya 4 speed gearbox model 70168 as most do,but id went a different route with controls and the blade.....and the sprocket.
i installed a complete $50 heng long tank tx/rx/mfu system with sound and option to install lights later.
HL route offers 1 stick tracks,leaving the turret channel open for the blade.
and i have on the tx volume control,and the smoke button is on/off control that can be used to activate lights.......all for $50
i have no room to spare under the interior after installing everything.(speaker has been moved inside)
i went with 2 18650 samsung 25r 3300 mah lion cells for 8-12 hr runtime before needing a charge.place in a $3 ebay battery holder.
i designed and 3d printed some new drive sprockets with longer teeth.
also designed the servo post and pivot system for the blade.
i chose a standard futaba s3003 servo,ripped out the servos esc board and pot,modded for 360.....soldered on motor wires.
so my servo is basically a gear motor that looks like a servo.
when the blade reaches max travel it stalls the servo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66zd...0K9JdN_a6Mkqb8
Bruder d5 by Nick Pellegrin, on Flickr
Old 11-17-2018, 04:32 PM
Green Horn

Zabco is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Bruder D5 1 day build

Very nice clean mod. Great idea using the tank controller. Great work!
Old 11-18-2018, 09:50 AM

thanx
it came out pretty clean.i just designed a skid panel to protect the gearbox.....nothing scale but should work.ill get pics n update soon.
the d5 performs alot better than i expected.i put 8 hours on it yesterday.
Old 11-18-2018, 11:43 AM
Journeyman

FabOne is on a distinguished road

GREAT conversion! A very different approach utilizing the tank controller.
Old 11-20-2018, 11:35 PM

thanx guys
i just built a 2nd d5,but this time i used the 2x12 sabertooth.....it just fits under the interior.its the first time ive used a sabertooth,i like it .....but ive gotten used to the old heng long.but the sabertooth is a true variable throttle,the HL unit it more like a 12 step speed control,but i will say the HL has a easier to control low speed over the sabertooth.and steering in reverse is backwards on the saber aswell.ill see if thats something that i can change.im happy with both though,id guess the real benifit of going the sabertooth route is the ability to add servos and assign switches,and wide variety of transmitters out there.the advantage of the HL budget and getting the job done.i almost prefer the HL setup.....hard call though.
Old 11-21-2018, 08:17 AM
Journeyman

kaptain Jack is on a distinguished road

Great results! I built one few years ago, but original sprockets are two short and slip every time, I also burnt the tamiya gearbox motor. Was wondering where can I get the sprockets with larger teeth?
THx
Old 11-22-2018, 10:46 AM

i 3d print them,ill eventualy put them on thingiverse,ill try to figure out how to load the stl file here
i used the teeth set from this sprocket.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2616603

i use these motors
https://www.pololu.com/product/1117?...Cg9gJJwNMwXfdY

Last edited by igotit; 11-22-2018 at 11:00 AM.
Old 11-23-2018, 06:51 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

frizzen is on a distinguished road

With a Henglong and a Sabertooth, i'll be interested to see which you prefer after the machines start getting more hours.

I remember reading about the bruder sprocket slip being fixed with either cutting radial slots that ziptie pieces can be inserted and trimmed, or axially drilling holes for drive pins depending on the track design.
Old 11-23-2018, 08:14 AM
Journeyman

kaptain Jack is on a distinguished road

Great, thank you for the links.
Old 11-24-2018, 12:19 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

skeeter is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Bruder D5 1 day build

Quote:
Originally Posted by igotit View Post
i 3d print them,ill eventualy put them on thingiverse,ill try to figure out how to load the stl file here
i used the teeth set from this sprocket.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2616603

i use these motors
https://www.pololu.com/product/1117?...Cg9gJJwNMwXfdY
I'm glad you were able to use that sprocket design.
Old 11-24-2018, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter View Post
I'm glad you were able to use that sprocket design.
thats your work.....thanks for your contribution.
im working on making the teeth just a tad bit longer to see if it helps.ive abused my d5 over the last few days and really stretched the tracks out,moved the box back to tighten up,and stretched some more.hoping longer teeth will do the the trick.
Old 11-25-2018, 03:01 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
thats your work.....thanks for your contribution.
im working on making the teeth just a tad bit longer to see if it helps.ive abused my d5 over the last few days and really stretched the tracks out,moved the box back to tighten up,and stretched some more.hoping longer teeth will do the the trick.
My brother in law did that design for me. I told him what I wanted, that's what he delivered me. I wish he had put longer teeth on the sprocket! I inquired about it a LONG time ago, but haven't heard anything back about it.

When you do get the longer teeth done, I look forward to seeing it.

How's that gearbox holding up? I started with that, then went to the servo drives. I only had a few hours of run time on mine before I stripped the gears. I couldn't figure out a way to keep the force that the tracks were applying from putting excess pressure on the shaft, & making it easy to booger the gears.
Old 11-26-2018, 06:13 AM

Quote:
My brother in law did that design for me. I told him what I wanted, that's what he delivered me. I wish he had put longer teeth on the sprocket! I inquired about it a LONG time ago, but haven't heard anything back about it.

When you do get the longer teeth done, I look forward to seeing it.

How's that gearbox holding up? I started with that, then went to the servo drives. I only had a few hours of run time on mine before I stripped the gears. I couldn't figure out a way to keep the force that the tracks were applying from putting excess pressure on the shaft, & making it easy to booger the gears.
sofar ive got around 20-25 hard hours on my first d5 in the video,and maybe 8 medium use hours on my 2nd d5,both holding up well.i really beat the first one before deciding to buy/build another one.i have another d5 sitting on the shelf waiting for a build,with 3 gear boxes unopened piled up.maybe you got a bad one.
once i get this sprocket dialed in ill publish and share it.

right now im working on a delta loader,originally had a tamiya gearbox in it,never ran it.yesterday i designed and printed mounts for 16mm 150 rpm gearmotors.done its first test drive tonight.....and i have to say im more than happy.ill make a vid n post a seperate thread soon.
the problem with the delta builds are lack of room for batteries,i think i got that that solved thou.

also have the bruder tracked loader arriving in the mail soon.
for some reason im in bruder mode....lol.
Old 11-27-2018, 08:54 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

I LOVE them Bruder mods! I have done 5 successfully, & a couple of failed attempts!
The fail for me was the delta loader. I DID manage to get a skidsteer successfully converted. the others are the D5, the Bruder Mack dump truck, the tracked loader X2 mine & one for a friend, the L574 loader (NOT so successful...................but it did function, as well as the Bruder D10. The 10 I sold to a friend of mine for cheap. I couldn't get a reliable drive system that make er move. I fried several gear motors, as well as servos in er before i gave up. He put a HengLOng tank transmission & motor in it. That thing seems to work well now, but isn't heavy enough to push much. After he ads more weight to er, he may have a good lil machine.

I may have gotten a bad box. I gave 2 of them transmissions away after the first catastrophic failure I experienced.

I look forward to seeing your builds as they progress.

Last edited by skeeter; 11-27-2018 at 08:56 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-27-2018, 08:57 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

I've found that I get 8-12 hours of runtime on a set of Bruder tracks. Either on the D5, or the Bruder tracked loader, before they are so stretched that I have to replace them due to slippage.
Old 11-30-2018, 01:01 AM

Quote:
I LOVE them Bruder mods! I have done 5 successfully, & a couple of failed attempts!
The fail for me was the delta loader. I DID manage to get a skidsteer successfully converted. the others are the D5, the Bruder Mack dump truck, the tracked loader X2 mine & one for a friend, the L574 loader (NOT so successful...................but it did function, as well as the Bruder D10. The 10 I sold to a friend of mine for cheap. I couldn't get a reliable drive system that make er move. I fried several gear motors, as well as servos in er before i gave up. He put a HengLOng tank transmission & motor in it. That thing seems to work well now, but isn't heavy enough to push much. After he ads more weight to er, he may have a good lil machine.

I may have gotten a bad box. I gave 2 of them transmissions away after the first catastrophic failure I experienced.

I look forward to seeing your builds as they progress.
Quote:
I've found that I get 8-12 hours of runtime on a set of Bruder tracks. Either on the D5, or the Bruder tracked loader, before they are so stretched that I have to replace them due to slippage.
i just got a order in for the tracked loader,$460 deep in cost between the controller,tx,gear boxes,linear actuators...ect.hopefully that one goes smooth.
i tested a longer teeth d5 set today,every other tooth has to stay the same length as your buddy designed.....but even on loose track that are stretched rarely ever slips,stalls the motor instead when it gets in a bind.
once i tweak it ill get you that stl.you need it with hubs for tamiya gearbox or something else?

on the delta loader,i just installed 2 16mm gear motors in mine to save room over the tamiya gearbox route.im verry happy with speed and power.....plus $8 shipped for both gearmotors hard to beat.
ill get a pic of that tomorrow,top end still in peices and need work.
Old 11-30-2018, 01:09 AM

the cool thing i did with the delta is recessed the 16mm planetary gearbox into the drive hub 8mm in.....similar to a real loaders drive hub.
20181126_174328 by Nick Pellegrin, on Flickr
20181126_055615 by Nick Pellegrin, on Flickr
20181130_000340 by Nick Pellegrin, on Flickr
20181130_000357 by Nick Pellegrin, on Flickr
20181130_000407 by Nick Pellegrin, on Flickr
Old 11-30-2018, 08:55 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
i just got a order in for the tracked loader,$460 deep in cost between the controller,tx,gear boxes,linear actuators...ect.hopefully that one goes smooth.
i tested a longer teeth d5 set today,every other tooth has to stay the same length as your buddy designed.....but even on loose track that are stretched rarely ever slips,stalls the motor instead when it gets in a bind.
once i tweak it ill get you that stl.you need it with hubs for tamiya gearbox or something else?

on the delta loader,i just installed 2 16mm gear motors in mine to save room over the tamiya gearbox route.im verry happy with speed and power.....plus $8 shipped for both gearmotors hard to beat.
ill get a pic of that tomorrow,top end still in peices and need work.
I would LOVE to have it in the original design, if you don't mind. I designed mine to use a servo hub from robotshop.com that bolts into that hub. I've experimented with lengthening the teeth with zip ties glued into the teeth. I glued them in with a skip tooth method.......glue one tooth, skip the next, glue another....................so on & so forth. I found it worked well. What DIDN'T work too well, is that the zippies are too fragile & break off &/or wear down very quickly.
Old 11-30-2018, 08:57 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

That delta loader is looking good! That makes me regretful that I tossed mine out earlier this summer.
Old 12-01-2018, 03:11 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

frizzen is on a distinguished road

Those are looking great!

I really like that delta skid, any chance of sharing the stl files and motor ratios?