RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Tech section. > Body Shop Tech

Body Shop Tech Body mods and tricks of the trade and painting tricks here.

Old 01-28-2012, 10:52 PM
Green Horn

SuperDutyScaler is on a distinguished road
Default paint flaking off after three months!(update on paint now 1/31/12)

let me start with this was not my first hard body paint job. Ive had tamiya trucks since i was around eight i guess, started with a Midnight Pumpkin that me and my dad painted black and it still has the original paint thats not coming off. Anyway when i got my King i wanted to do it right the first time, so i read how to prep the body and paint it. Well i painted the cab on 10-7-11 and my truck has been sitting on a shelf in my "man" room in the house. I decided to finish some detail paint on the aircleaners and such so i started unscrewing parts and the f$cking paint and primer is just popping the f$ck off for no reason! I dont understand what happened, i wore latex golves so i wouldnt get grease on the cab, i washed it first then used a prep spary i got at the auto shop paint store in town, i sanded the entire cab, primed and painted. I let it sit in the house for four days before i installed any thing onto the cab. Drove it a few times put it on the shelf where its been sitting. Then today i go to finish it and the paint is flaking off when i remove everything! What did i do wrong?

Last edited by SuperDutyScaler; 01-31-2012 at 09:18 AM.
Old 01-28-2012, 11:00 PM
Green Horn

Default Re: paint flaking off after three months!

this is the paint i used on the cab, should have stuck with Dupicolor, at least i know it doesnt flake off like this junk
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXYDT8
Old 01-28-2012, 11:02 PM
Green Horn

and the primer i used which is suppose to be for the paint i bought
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXFLK3&P=ML
Old 01-28-2012, 11:04 PM
Green Horn

so now the big question, how can i safely remove the paint and primer without damage to my cab? I was going to sand it but that would remove all the molded in detail in the tamiya body, so what now?
Old 01-28-2012, 11:39 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Tamiya Cowboy has a spectacular aura aboutTamiya Cowboy has a spectacular aura aboutTamiya Cowboy has a spectacular aura about

I would say your prep of the plastic was wrong did you use Gray scotch bright to scuff the body first? And I think any of them model paints are junk I am sure that primer did not help you also may have put the primer down to heavy and you may have either painted to soon and to heavy or waited to long to paint and you did not re scuff the primer before you painted. There is a very narrow window on a lot of these little steps that could cause the issues you are having..

HI.. My name is Paul.. And.. I.. Have a Cabover Addiction.

RIP FreddyGearDrive 2-12-59/12-19-11 "LET IT EAT"
Like Us on Facebook "Corn Field Mafia"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-28-2012, 11:41 PM
Out of control

fhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud of

Well the paint is coming off with the parts because it probably was not cured yet. Now for the good part, since you used lacquer paint you can soak the body in 90% or higher RUBBING alcohol and the paint should come off with a little rubbing with a rag. But be sure to use RUBBING alcohol like you get in the heath department at a drug store or walmart, not denatured like they have at the home improvement stores or you will melt the plastic.

Travis

RIP FreddyGearDrive 2-12-59/12-19-11
Old 01-29-2012, 12:20 AM
Green Horn

thanks guys ill do that tomorrow.
Old 01-29-2012, 12:47 AM

texken is on a distinguished road

and such so i started unscrewing parts and the paint and primer is just popping

wash you mouth with soap, and the above would have worked better to say paint came off.
with out a dirty word.
This is a family site.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:59 AM
Green Horn

wash you mouth with soap, and the above would have worked better to say paint came off.
with out a dirty word.
This is a family site.[/QUOTE]

yea......
Old 01-29-2012, 12:04 PM
Green Horn

anyways i went too two local hardware stores this morning and neither of them have grey scotch brite pads? I didn't try Home Depot or Lowe's yet maybe they will?
Old 01-29-2012, 12:20 PM
Green Horn

i just checked Home Depot on line and they dont sell the ultrafine pads. Lowe's has them it says ultrafine but they are green only? As long as its ultra fine it will be ok i suppose? If not ill just wait till tomorrow and go to the auto paint store in town because i know they sell all 3M products
Old 01-30-2012, 05:21 PM

Jigglepin is on a distinguished road

Hi,

Do you use solvent based paints? I've alittle experience in paint, if its a plastic body and its brand new ( I know there is a particular primer for plastic with 'flex' etc, but with anything if its knocked about it would be damaged anyway). Primer is really only for metal or where a repair has been made. A scotch brite pad should have been enough usually the grey one. I usually block (where a block can be used) down primer with somtimes first with 600 grit then 1200 grit wet, with alittle bit of fairy liquid.

Last edited by Jigglepin; 01-30-2012 at 05:24 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:16 AM
Green Horn

i washed the cab originally, then scuffed it with i thought 1200 wet/dry, then i painted with the paint i posed above. But last night i washed the paint in 91% rubbing alchol and it came off without any fuss. So now the big question do i now wet saned tas much as possible with the 1200 w/d or do i go deeper like 600 first then 800 and then finish with 1200 and then clean the body and finish with the grey scotch brite and then just hit it with my new Dupicolor paint?
Old 01-31-2012, 09:17 AM
Green Horn

OK i bought a can of Brite Red dodge paint from Dupicolor last night, to get the best out of the red should i spray a coat of white first and then the red? Or use a different base color to make the red pop?
Old 01-31-2012, 02:02 PM

hi,

Have you used dupicolor before with good results? Me personaly, I'd use water based paints on plastic, sometimes solvents can be to harsh or dont agree with the plastic so it never truly 'bites' and it does come down to the quality of the paint itself. I've always finished with a solvent based 2 pac laquer. what did you use with the alchol to get the paint off?

Somtimes a white base coat can turn reds slightly pinkish. Are you working with spray cans? Either a silver base or the white but slightly tinted with the red so its turns pinkish, but obviously you would have to mix it in a cup, its best to try on a spare panel or something first.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:34 PM
Out of control

fhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigglepin View Post
hi,

Have you used dupicolor before with good results? Me personaly, I'd use water based paints on plastic, sometimes solvents can be to harsh or dont agree with the plastic so it never truly 'bites' and it does come down to the quality of the paint itself. I've always finished with a solvent based 2 pac laquer. what did you use with the alchol to get the paint off?

Somtimes a white base coat can turn reds slightly pinkish. Are you working with spray cans? Either a silver base or the white but slightly tinted with the red so its turns pinkish, but obviously you would have to mix it in a cup, its best to try on a spare panel or something first.
Alcohol takes the paint off by it's self especially lacquer.

Travis

RIP FreddyGearDrive 2-12-59/12-19-11
Old 01-31-2012, 05:54 PM
Green Horn

-im using Dupi color in the spray paint can from advanced auto.
-yesi have used dupicolor before and it has always worked great on my Tamiya F350 trucks
-so should i just sand with wet/dry and then scuffwith thescotch brite pad? And then just paint with the redall by itself?
Old 01-31-2012, 06:38 PM
I'm tryin Boss!

Stylin n profilin has a spectacular aura aboutStylin n profilin has a spectacular aura aboutStylin n profilin has a spectacular aura about

I would base it with a color...sliver would really make it pop like jigglepin said..just light coats on the base color so by the time you paint you red its not to thick..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
One Bus Stop Short Of The Short Bus...
Old 02-02-2012, 09:55 AM
Green Horn

thanks stylin
Old 02-03-2012, 03:38 PM

hi,

I'd use 1200- 1500 wet. That should get rid of any light sratches etc and give you a nice smooth surface to paint over! hope it turns out well for you, get some pics up. Before and after!